Brothers....at Word-Filled-Wednesday

"How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity! It is like precious oil poured on the head, running down on the beard, running down on Aaron's beard, down upon the collar of his robes. It is as if the dew of Hermon were falling on Mt. Zion. For there the LORD bestows His blessing, even life forevermore." -Psalm 133

I found this psalm last week while reading. It struck a chord immediately! Did you notice the exclamation point???? David was really making the point! And, how this psalm resonates with me as a mother.

How GOOD and PLEASANT our home is when brothers (and sisters) are living in unity.

And....how UNPLEASANT our home is when there is strife.

David was no stranger to family strife. His sons fought with each other, killed one another, and tried to kill him! So...I can feel his passion when speaking about peace. I haven't studied the history of the psalm (although it is included in the "songs of ascents"), but I wonder if David wrote this when it was a peaceful, unified time within his family...

He compares family unity with the anointing of oil. I wonder if he was remembering that precious, special time when Samuel anointed HIS head with oil? The feelings of surprise of being chosen.... The incredible honor of God choosing him to be king of all Israel....
David compares the pouring out of God's blessing and anointing to brothers living together in unity. He says it is THERE, in the place of unity, where God can pour out His blessing.
And, how beautiful it is for us, as children of God, to live in unity, in the absence of strife, in the place of blessing with our brothers and sisters IN CHRIST.
Thank You, Lord, for Your beautiful Word. It is Life. It is Truth. It is Wisdom. Fill us with all spiritual wisdom and knowledge in You, Lord.
And, check out more Word-Filled-Wednesday here at my dear friend, Lori's place!
\

17 thoughts shared....:

Michele Williams said...

What a great pic to go with the scripture. Thank you for this great devotion... If only all churches lived in unity....

Carrie Cooper said...

Carrie @ comfortedbyGod.blogspot.com

My household sounds like yours ;)
It's amazing how a unified family makes the day so wonderful and my heart so content. We have our share of disunity too... thankfully those days don't consume our family.

Cathy said...

A precious picture and beautiful verse ~ Blessings ~

Pia said...

how beautiful it is for us, as children of God, to live in unity, in the absence of strife --- i agree. i want this for my family as well and for all of us, children of God.

Twinkle Mom @ Sunflower Faith said...

I enjoyed how you pulled together the verse with both the image and the illustration! Enjoyed your WFW and it is an encouraging post!

Amydeanne said...

awww those are images i love to see!

Amen!

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

Such a great picture - a keeper for sure. That is a great verse. A great reminder to keep strife from entering our lives.

His Unfailing Love said...

God's word is indeed a blessing. Thanks you for this word. They're cute

jo.attalife said...

Thanks for sharing. I have 3 boys of my own, and how well I know the truth of these words!
My WFW is here.

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

I LoVe it! I will be sharing this photo with my children... Yes - I will make sure they also note the exclamation point. :-)

ozjane said...

Well said.....and love the photo

SnoWhite said...

Awesome.

It is truly a blessing.

Chelle said...

Another great WFW post! That picture makes me smile.

life's journey said...

Yes it is nice and true the verse speak itself. Love it. The image is great too. Happy WFW! Mine is ready,.

lori said...

Boy you couldn't have said it ANY better girlfriend...there IS an exclamation point, we all know how GOOD it is when brothers (and sisters) are not in strife and boy did David know all about it...it's ultimately OUR responsibility to help them grow in these relationships...

GOOD STUFF!

((hugs))lori

lori said...

I JUST left a comment and it disappeared:( wahhhh:(

I LOVE the exclamation point on this! What truth girlfriend!!

David certainly DID know what strife does in a family and it's up to us to help those relationships between siblings grow...

You couldn't have said it ANY better!!

loved it!

peace!
lori

christschild said...

What a great post! You are right...things are much easier when there is unity. You don't see much unity in this world...but I think God wants us to stand out as His children, so others can see Him in us. I believe we can make a difference in the little things we do...saying a kind word, helping someone in need, and many other things. Thank you for this reminder.
Blessings,
Elizabeth