Are you "conformed"?

"Do not be conformed to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then, you will be able to test and approve what God's will is- His good, pleasing, and perfect will." Romans 12:2


BUT, TRACY, HOW DO WE “DO IT??”

Well, how do we live these verses out? What do they look like in our lives?


When I read these verses, I get so excited! They hold such promises- I want to be transformed- that’s thrilling! And, I want to know what God’s will is for my life!


Let’s read the verses backwards.


How can you test and approve God’s will?

By having a renewed mind.

How can I have a renewed mind?

By being transformed!

And, how am I transformed?

By NOT conforming to the patterns of the world.

Wow! But, what are the patterns of the world? What does that mean?


I love the Amplified Bible. It says, “Do not be conformed to this world (age), [fashioned after and adapted to its external, superficial customs], but be transformed (changed) by the entire renewal of your mind [by its new ideals and its new attitude], so that you prove for yourselves what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God, even the thing which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His sight for you.]"

Do you need a new attitude???

When I study and ponder these verses, I begin to see there is a connection between the WAY I think, my mindsets, and my transformation.

And, when I look at this, I cannot be CONFORMED and TRANSFORMED at the same time!


I cannot be both- but one or other.

When I think of conformed, I think of fitting into a little box. When I think of “conform”- I think of Spandex! When I think of “transformed” I think of a butterfly being transformed from a lowly caterpillar to a beautiful butterfly, flying free in the sky.

Paul understood that NOT CONFORMING would be difficult at times and take on purpose kind of living.


DYING TO FLESH, SUBMITTING, SURRENDERING


Don’t make your values and beliefs fit into what the world says is good.


Romans 12:1 in the NLT says, “Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think.”

God doesn’t want us to THINK the way the world does. Have you ever copied the customs and behaviors of this world when you knew in your heart, in your spirit, that they were in direct violation to what God was telling you?

Hmmmm.....

Lord, I don't want to conform to the world, but instead be transformed by the renewing of my mind. Renew my mind, Lord! Help me to see things the way You do! Give me such a Spirit of wisdom and revelation so that I may know You better! I love You, Lord. In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen.

Go here to link to more awesome Word-Filled Wednesday!

10 thoughts shared....:

Joan Hall said...

I was thinking of this verse yesterday. I liked the way you read it "backwards".

Have a blessed day and happy WFW.

ozjane said...

I love the JB Phillips version of that verse...something like
Don't let the world change you into its own mold.

Twinkle Mom @ Sunflower Faith said...

Very encouraging and convicting post; I think that it's so hard not to have a "Have it My way" attitude when it comes to being a Christian and feeling that social pressure to "fit in" to what the world says or want versus over what our Heavenly Father wants.

Your WFW was a great visual of who we are being challenged by but the truth is that we have a God who is bigger than all of this and unlike the buildings and culture His way and word is permanent, set on a stronger foundation and always ring true and never change due to fads or fashion.

Fantastic WFW!

Susan said...

Tracy!!

This was GREAT!!! Thanks so much for this awesome word today.

Blessings to you this WFW♥

lori said...

"and the things of earth will grow strangely dim by the light of HIS glory and grace..."

Let the TRANSFORMATION begin!

What a WORD! AWESOME!
love you girl!
lori

LauraLee Shaw said...

Such incredible admonishment, dear sister. You've spurred me on today!

life's journey said...

Thanks for sharing this..Happy WFW!Mine is ready.

Cathy said...

A wonderful verse for today ~

Chelle said...

Another great lesson, and going backwards...love it!

annies home said...

what a great post and wonderful verse and lesson. It is often hard to stop from being swallowed up by the world. But if we follow him and his word we can stand fast