Mama, can we pray?

"Mama, can we pray?"

My heart was racing, my fingers shaking as I held my still sleeping five year old Aaron. I had been praying constantly in my mind since my husband awoke me in the middle of the night, hurrying me to get the kids down into the basement. He had stayed up and was watching the weather and the threat of tornadoes nearby. When the news station said a tornado was about 35 miles west of us, Brian had gotten me up out of my restless, half-dozing, half-listening state of sleep. I ran and got Abigail out of her crib and starting running towards the basement. On my way, the tornado sirens began screaming. I ran down to the basement with Abigail. I was so grateful when I saw her infant car carrier sitting on the floor.

I quickly strapped in Abigail and ran upstairs to help Brian wake up the other four kids. He was holding a sleeping Aaron and yelling at the older kids. As the wind kicked up, we lost our sense of calm and the only objective was to get to the basement as quickly as possible.

Andrew, eyes half-closed, ran past me straight to the basement. I took Aaron from Brian and ran downstairs as he shook the girls awake. When the girls heard the sirens, they too, sleepily but quickly ran down to the basement.

It was so strange to feel the air as we ran from the upstairs to the main level to the basement. The air was so hot and thick, you felt like you could cut it with a knife. The difference in air temperature from the basement and main level had to be at least 20 degrees.

With sleeping bags spread out, everyone safely snuggled in, Ashley's frightened voice whispered, "Mama, can we pray?"

Thank You, Lord, that my sweet children look to You as their Rock, their Shelter when the storms come, their Refuge. Thank You for Your hand of protection. Thank You for Your hedge of protection around us last night.

Iowa was hit by 27 tornadoes last night (watching the news, Minnesota, Texas, Kansas, and Oklahoma were also hit severely). There are towns that have lost lives and homes. Two counties have been declared disaster areas with the tornadoes leveling the whole town. Please pray for these communities as they begin the clean-up today.

Psalm 91

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most
High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and
my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."

.....You will fear not the terror of night,
nor the arrows that fly by day,

nor the pestilence that stalks in the
darkness.....

If you make the Most High your dwelling-even
the LORD, who is my refuge-

then no harm will befall you, no disaster
will come near your tent.

For He will command His angels concerning
you to guard you in all your ways;

they will lift you up in their hands, so
that you will not strike your foot against a stone.

...."Because he loves me," says the
LORD,

"I will rescue him; I will protect him, for
he acknowledges my name.

He will call upon me, and I will answer
him;

I will be with him in trouble,

I will deliver him and honor him.

With long life will I satisfy him and show
him My salvation."

Today, on Memorial Day, please pray for the families of the men and women so bravely serving their countries all over the world. Pray for the families who have lost loved ones protecting freedom and honor.

6 thoughts shared....:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's so scary! I'm glad you weren't hurt. We don't live in a tornado region, so we haven't lived through scares like that.

I finally found the book I was supposed to mail to you about a month ago. It'll be in the mail this week.

Chelle said...

Glad you are all safe and sound! :)

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you and your family are safe. And how wonderful to hear your son ask if you could pray! Jesus is our peace during the fiercest storm!

Melanie said...

What a wonderful blessing that your children look to the Lord for comfort!

So glad you all were safe.

Blessedw5mom said...

So glad you are safe ... I've seen lots of news stories today on the destruction caused by those tornadoes.

Praise God that your children know comfort in prayer!

Sue McRoberts said...

I'm glad you guys are safe!! We got pounded in Minneapolis too. A little boy died when he was sucked out of his house. It's so awful. That is so awesome that your kiddos know who to turn to in crisis. It's almost like they've seen that modeled somewhere...

Blessings!
Sue McRoberts