In Other Words

Thank you, Miriam at Miriam Pauline’s Monologue for hosting this weeks, In Other Words. She asks us to ponder:



“God does not speak simply to be heard. He speaks to be obeyed. Obedience is the Alpha and Omega of discerning God’s voice.”

by Priscilla Shirer



I love the beginning of this quote- God doesn't simply speak to be heard, but to be obeyed!

As a mom, I know exactly the meaning of this! I want my kids not just to hear me, but to OBEY me. In fact, I just said something similar to my Ashley (10) this morning. She didn't obey a command I had given her. She said, "Oh, I didn't hear you, Mom," but I knew she had heard me. So I said, "You heard me, Ashley, you just choose not to 'listen' to me...you disobeyed!"

I am also teaching my children that I am not speaking just to talk, but that I have REASONS why I am saying things. They have learned the "hard way" that Mom says to do something for a reason- a reason of love- not just to be "mean." And, when they choose to ignore my commands there are consequences....sometimes natural consequences, sometimes consequences from Brian and I.

God is like that as well.

He gives us commands for a reason....not to be mean, but because He knows what is best for us. And....we can choose either to obey or go our own way...

It's been like that from the very beginning! In the garden, God's Word said not to eat the fruit. But Adam and Eve choose to do it their own way and disobeyed God's Word.

Then, all through the Old Testament, we see the Israelites choosing either to obey or disobey. When they disobey, we see God's anger and His consequences (often Him allowing them to be taken into captivity). Proverbs 1:31 comes to mind that says when sinners disobey, they will EAT THE FRUIT of their own ways. Ouch. Hmmm....kind of like the rotten fruit in the Garden....We are still eating the fruit of Eve's mistake!

Like the Israelites, when I choose to disobey God, I will be taken off into captivity.....

I experience the bondage of my own SIN~

See I am setting before you today a blessing and a curse- the blessing if you obey the commands of the LORD your God that I am giving you today; the curse if you disobey the commands of the LORD your God...Deuteronomy 11:26-28

I struggled with the last part of the quote:

Obedience is the alpha and omega (beginning and end) of discerning God's voice.

I'm not sure what the author means by this, so I look forward to reading others' take on it! I didn't have time this week to go to the original writing....

Please take a few minutes and check out what others are saying in their words!

And, please join us today in the first day of our Bible Study,


4 thoughts shared....:

Denise said...

Well said.

Miriam Pauline said...

Tracy thanks for joining us today! I'm enjoying seeing how God is using so many of our experiences as Moms to teach us about our own obedience. Seems to be a common theme. Have a wonderful week!

Karen said...

"Oh I didn't hear what you said." I almost forgot that excuse. We say that a lot to God. We think ignorance will save us from the consequences of disobedience. Wrong!

Debbie Petras said...

Too many times I've experienced the consequences of my disobedience and it's not fun. Why do I do that? I'm learning that when I listen and obey, God has my best interests at heart.