Gathering at the Well...

Gathering At the Well


Praise for the Most High

The discussion questions are:
Who or what is "most high" in your mind and heart today?
Is it the Most High, or someone or something else?

Well, we are not starting this week at the well with idle "chit chat", but heavy IDOL discussions! As we gather today, we are asked to look at ourselves honestly and answer the question who is the most high in our hearts.

Of course, I would jump up and shout out, "GOD!" My beautiful Jesus, my Savior, my LIFE! I praise Jehovah, Almighty God as my Most High!

Hmmm......

But, do my actions really reflect that truth? Or what about my secret thoughts? What about the things I dare not whisper out loud to anyone else....lest you will see me for who I really am.

Oh, how I want my answer to be God! Oh, how I wish my selfish heart would DIE completely so that He could LIVE completely in me and through me.

Unfortunately, I often place someone else on the throne of my heart. I often worship this person first and foremost, even before God. Often, the "most high" in my life is...

ME.

SELF.

I worry about if things are "fair" to me. I justify myself when I am sure I am "right." I lament when "I have to do everything."

And, lately, a struggle I have been fighting is the inner, secret desire to be "admired." No, not like American Idol. But, this need for others to recognize my accomplishments. It is something just between me and God. I am not a person who lists all of her good works to others to get praise (look at me now trying to "justify" my heart!). In fact, "those" people drive me crazy! You know, the person who makes sure EVERYONE knows she volunteered for this or was responsible for that. I may not "do" this on the outside, but inwardly, my heart is screaming the same things! "Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."1Samuel 16:7

"Did you see me? Was that good? See what a good influence I am? See how I am making a difference?"

AGH.

It is no wonder Jesus tells us not to let the right hand know what the left hand is giving!

I hate this about my heart. I know it is what got Satan into trouble.

Pride.

He wanted to be worshipped like God.

I know that it is not ME who is doing the "good" things...it is JESUS within me. It is the Holy Spirit. I refuse to "steal" God's glory! The glory that is due to Him!

In my race to "get credit" for the good things happening, I am really stealing the credit from God. It is only Him who "deserves" the credit. All glory to God!

I purpose in my heart to say like John the Baptist "I must decrease so that He may increase!" See John 3:22-30.

Lord, You see the motives of the heart. You know what lies deep within me...the things I try to keep secret. The things I don't want others to know. But, I know when I bring these things into the Light, You can change me. Purify my heart, Lord. Make my motives pure. Get rid of all selfish ambition. Fill me with You. Less of me and more of You. Less of me and more of You. Less of me and more of You. NONE of me and ALL of You. In Jesus' precious name we pray. AMEN.

Please join the gathering at the well today and drink deeply of what He has to share.

Putting God first in my life has been a topic I have written about often because it has been an area of challenge for me. I have spent lots of time studying the Old Testament- the plight of the Israelites and how they continued to turn to idols INSTEAD of the Most High God. And, even though you have to say, "Are you guys CRAZY????", too often I have seen myself make the same mistakes. If you would like to read more, see here, here, here, or here.

12 thoughts shared....:

Larie Carlice Proverbs 27:19 said...

Oh Tracy! First of all, I am glad that you are back up and running!!! I missed you.

Now, I want to copy and paste what you wrote at our blog! I'm telling ya, you described me all the way.

We are sooooo much alike Tracy, we have really got to talk more personally sometime.

I love you!

smooches,
Larie

Larie Carlice Proverbs 27:19 said...

Oh, also, very courageous of you to share this part of your heart. It's awesome and I am proud of you for that!


smooches,
Larie

Raye Ann said...

"Did you see me? Was that good? See what a good influence I am? See how I am making a difference?"

How many times have I secertly asked these questions to myself. I truly get embarrassed when I receive compliments, and yet at the same time I want people to notice me. I know I do what I do because God has given me the ability to do so. I know all that I do is for Him. So when someone acknowledges me I get embarrassed. But when they do not acknowledge me I do not get upset because they did not see God's gifts in me, but because they did not see me. It is a battle between the fallen self I was born as and the new self that grace has made me.

All that to say your post really hit home.

Blessings Always

Laurie Ann said...

Tracy, I wanted to thank you for being so honest here. I think this is a matter many of us struggle with. I do. I did just this morning, wondering when I handed in my presentation who would get the credit for it, me or the one who actually cuts and pastes it into powerpoint. Should it really matter? Oh, how fickle I am. No one matters but God! If I give the presentation and honor Him in doing my best, that's all that matters. Not the credits of who designed it. Great thoughts and great perspective on this issue. We must decrease and He must increase! I love that verse.

Angela said...

"Did you see me? Was that good? See what a good influence I am? See how I am making a difference?"

hate this about my heart. I know it is what got Satan into trouble. (my own words here: and why Satan works so hard in trying to have us behave in the same way, tempting us like this, placing these thoughts within us, whispering these thoughts on and on)

I know that it is not ME who is doing the "good" things...it is JESUS within me. It is the Holy Spirit. I refuse to "steal" God's glory! The glory that is due to Him!

WOW...girl,,I could have wrote this...you spoke my heart, my struggles, my wrestling emotions...

((hugs))

Angela said...

Want to add again,,,this was a powerful devotional....Thanks for sharing so honestly, it really blessed me.

June said...

Life is wonderful when we know who
the real Most High is. Life gets tangled up when we become our on most high.

Thanks for visiting us at the well.

June

Jenifer said...

Tracy, thank you so much for sharing your heart. I, too, have struggled with wanting to be admired for the work God has done in my life. Daily I pray that His name be glorified and not my own. Without Him I would be absolutely nothing. He is the one who has made me what I am today and He is the one who has given me a message to share- it's nothing in and of myself, but all about Him.

Blessings to you!
Jenifer

Kathryn said...

Well, girl, we were on the same proverbial page this morning, weren't we? :-) Funny thing is, I had initially posted Galatians 5:22-23, and the Lord led me to change it to 1 Samuel 16:7. So delighted to be trackin' (and thirstin'!) with you! :-)

Miss Charlene said...

Beautifully written. It's so true. With Christ, we die more to self each day and he lives more in us! Like the verse that says love is not self seeking. Our carnal lives tell us to focus on 'me, me and me' while Jesus tells us to focus on HIM and on others. It's something we practice daily for sure!

Denise said...

Thanks for your honest, and open heart, love you.

Joyeful said...

Thank you, Tracy, for your transparent heart! I struggle with the same thing! Lately, God asked me a question that stopped me in my tracks, "What are your motives?" It was a hard question and one that He already knew, of course. I had to recognize that God will never share His glory with another--everything that is good in me comes from Him! All Praise to Jesus!