A MakeOver of the Heart Bible Study

Welcome to the first day of MakeOver of the Heart! Oh, how I pray it blesses you as you seek God in transforming your heart. I am SO EXCITED you are here!

Please know this is a "safe" place. I pray you will feel comfortable to ask and share anything. Please comment and share with each other. If you would like to keep a comment private, please just tell me and I won't publish it. Or, you may email me as well.

Let's get started!

WEEK ONE
Introduction

In this age of makeovers and “extreme makeovers,” we are always looking for ways to transform ourselves. We are not satisfied with staying the same, but are searching for ways to improve. So many times this concentration is focused on our outward appearance. But, the Bible says to concentrate on our inner beauty. Peter says, “Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of fine jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, your beauty should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit.” (1Peter 3:3-4) The transformation we will be concentrating on is a makeover of the heart.
What is a heart makeover? What does it mean to renew and rekindle your heart? What does it mean to have a complete transformation of the heart? To have a heart for God?
TAKE A FEW MOMENTS AND PONDER THAT....

If you are like me, I didn’t even realize I needed to change my heart! I thought, “My heart’s OK. I’m a good person. I love God.” But, over the years, I have had a total transformation of my heart. My heart has opened to a new Truth, a new joy, a new love, and a new way of life. I have had a complete MAKEOVER of my heart!

It is my heart’s desire that you too would experience the pure joy of giving your heart completely to the Lord- to completely abandon yourself to His love for you. I want you to “love the Lord with all of your heart, all of your soul, and all of your strength!” I want you to experience the ultimate makeover- to become a new creation in Christ starting with your heart.

Proverbs 4:23 says, “Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.” God’s word tells us most importantly, above everything, to watch and to guard our hearts. Out of the heart, springs life. So, our hearts, and the state of our hearts, should be a top priority. The Bible says, “Above all else, guard your heart.” How does your heart look? Are you ready for a heart makeover?
WHAT DO YOU THINK IT MEANS TO "GUARD YOUR HEART?" What does this "look" like?
For me, I think it means that I am so careful what I allow to enter into my heart and what I allow to take up residence there! I don't want to allow any bitter root to grow. I constantly pray: God, give me a pure heart. Create in me a clean heart! Get my heart RIGHT!

As women, we often think of ourselves as “heart experts.” We can all pick the perfect greeting cards. We all cry at the same long distance commercials. We say we give our hearts away completely. We may think we give them freely, but do we? What keeps us from giving our hearts completely to our children, our husbands, our parents, and to God?

Sometimes it is a fear that our hearts will be broken. Sometimes our hearts are wounded and hurt. Sometimes our hearts are stubborn. I know my heart can act like a spoiled 2 yr. old throwing a temper tantrum! (anyone identify with that????) It wants what it wants and it wants it NOW! My heart can be very selfish and very self- centered. Sometimes our hearts can be filled with anger or unforgiveness. We feel we are right in a broken relationship and our hearts become hardened to that person.

We’ll begin our heart makeover by allowing God to perform a complete “heart transplant!” You’ll need to take a look at your heart-full of its own selfish desires, its own agenda, and its own self-gratifying habits. You’ll need to allow God to take out that heart and replace it with a completely new heart; a heart head over heals in love with the Lord, completely focused on Him and His will for your life.
Ponder for a moment....what is it that you want the Lord to remove from your heart?

We’ll be meditating on Psalm 37:3-7a. It says, “Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord, and He will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun. Be still and wait patiently for Him.”
This new heart will take delight in the Lord. This new heart will trust the Lord. It will be committed to the Lord. And, this new heart will patiently wait for Him. We will take each section of this scripture and apply it to our lives in our heart makeovers. We’ll talk about delightful hearts, healed hearts, committed hearts, and prayerful hearts. I invite you now to experience a heart transformation and a complete makeover of your heart.



Before we begin this transformation, I would like to pray for you. I will be praying with you throughout the book, and have been praying for you during every step of the writing process. I believe in prayer. I believe in the power of God’s Word, so I use scripture in prayer. Whenever you see quotes during the prayer, these sentences or phrases are taken directly out of the Bible. I use several translations, including the New International Version, the Amplified Bible, The New Living Translation, and American Standard Version. Please feel free to use these prayers in your own personal devotion time. Include your own name in the scripture or in the prayer.
For instance, when I say, “I pray that God will give you a Spirit of wisdom and revelation,” you would change it to “I pray that God will give me (or your name here) a Spirit of wisdom and revelation.” Make the prayers personal. Praying scripture is such a powerful way to grow closer to God and grow closer to the heart of God. The Bible says, “Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.” There is no better way to draw near to our Lord than to pray in the Spirit, using His Word.



Prayer
Father God, I love you! I give you all glory and honor and praise! You are such a good God. I thank you for the opportunity to minister to this woman reading. I pray that you bless our time together, Lord. I pray that you would open the heart and mind of the woman reading this book. Reader, I pray that the “eyes of your heart would be enlightened. I pray that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you a Spirit of wisdom and revelation so that you may know Him better. I pray that out of His glorious riches, He may strengthen you with POWER through His Spirit in your inner being so that Christ may dwell in your heart through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love may have power together with all the saints to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love Christ and to know this love that surpasses knowledge- that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.” I pray this woman would have a total transformation of her heart. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.





Questions

1. God’s Word says that when we delight ourselves in Him, He gives us the desires of our heart. Have you taken any time to ponder WHAT the desires of your heart are? Take a few moments to sit quietly before Him. What are the desires of your heart?
Ask God to show you what the desires of your heart are. Take time with this.

2. Make a list of ways you would like to be transformed during this bible study. How do you want God to change you? What are your personal goals with this study? What are your personal expectations? Why are you reading this? What do you hope to accomplish?


I hope you share what God has revealed to you in the comment section!
For Thursday, please read and ponder these:
We'll talk about this on Thursday!

Read Ezekiel 36:25-28

God is speaking. He says, “I will sprinkle clean water on you and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws. You will live in the land I gave your forefathers; you will be my people, and I will be your God.”

Write in your own words what God is going to do. Does that get you excited?



Ezekiel is a book of the Old Testament. This represents God’s old covenant (or His pledge or promise) that He has with His people. Jesus talks about a new covenant in Luke 22:20. Right before Jesus sheds His blood for our redemption, He says, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.”

Jesus also promises that the Holy Spirit will come and live within us when He leaves the earth. John 16: 7 says, “It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.”

Ponder how Jesus fulfills the promise of Ezekiel. Through Jesus, we have the promise of a new heart and new spirit!

Ladies, I pray such blessings over you as we take this journey together! I know God is going to be doing amazing things!
See you Thursday!



14 thoughts shared....:

Jamaican Princess said...

Hi there! here re my answers for todays question:

1. my desires are to be closer with God, develop a strong spirit of discernment, I want my family to be spiritually and financially secure, and to truly love God as I should.

2. How do you want God to change you?
- I want him to help me to have a clean heart, free from greed,selfishness and iniquity. I also want him to help me stop dwelling on past mistakes and grow closer to him.

Personal goals with this study
- To have a better understanding of the bible, and Gods' plans for me

Personal expectations, hope to accomplish
- Learn to become a woman of God, and to become a more compassionate christian woman


Those are my answers ^^ this is a great study tool! I think I'm gonna love this! ^^

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this wonderful opportunity. I am going thru a very rough time of my life/marriage. We are seperated at this present time, but we are trying to work things out according to the word of God. So, this make over is such a HELP for me. Blessings,
Vanessa

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this wonderful opportunity. I am going thru a very rough time of my life/marriage. We are seperated at this present time, but we are trying to work things out according to the word of God. So, this make over is such a HELP for me. Blessings,
Vanessa

Toknowhim said...

Thanks for inviting me to come over today... I read today's post, but will come back later when I can concentrate on the questions ( I have two five year olds playing the Wii in my computer room :)

See you soon, Kim

Denise said...

Bless you my friend for doing this study, love you. Here are my answers for todays questions: 1)The desire of my heart is to be walking as close to God as I possibly can. I want to be a Daddys girl, whose heart is on fire for her daddy. 2) With this study, I truly desire to have a total heart makeover. I want to be the woman that God desires for me to be, not the woman the world wants me to be. I want to shine for God.

Tracey@Aloha Monkeys said...

Thank you so much for this study. I'm always looking for opportunities to get in His word and apply it to my life.

I definitely need a heart transplant. I know that I am blessed to be able to raise up my two boys, but there are times when I feel so burdened and feel like I'm the wrong person for the job. My goal during this study is for my heart to be transformed to a gratifying heart. To have gratification for all my blessings as well as for Christ.

Aunt Angie said...

Tracy---with all that you have shared--I have felt the Spirit of the LORD on the page.

My prayer on many days---especially on the hard days---"create in me a clean heart...and PLEASE renew a "right" spirit within me"....

When life is tough...whether brough on by family circumstances or work relationships, it can be difficult to keep a heart solid on Christ Jesus. While working among "Christians" for about a year, I prayed more for MY attitude not to fall into the way what I SAW daily.

I still strive to have a heart pleasing to the Father---and still I fall short on some days....usually it's only on the days that end in "Y". But I strive on...pressing toward the mark!

I know I didn't answer the questions...but I have so enjoyed reading the passages you have outlined. My favorites.

Bless you today!

Peggy said...

Blessings Tracy...I have been searching for a specific study to do during Lent(these 40 days from last Weds. til Resurecction Easter
Sunday). I came up with a study in Isaiah for March and a book on Prayer(but in Spanish) and trying to stay out of blogging so I can draw closer to Our Lord in preparation for celebrating this season! THIS IS PERFECT & an answer to prayer since last Weds. when I went to the Christian bookstore here in Mexico, not like what I found. Content and willing to use those but I was looking for something to transform me: always best to start with the heart!

I think I have too much of the head stuff. And as far as makeover, well,I'm not to good on the outer either. Always considered by inner much more important to work on.

I was going to take time to ponder your questions between now & Thursday but here is what the Holy Spirit is leading me to share at this moment.

Actually, I love these opening verses...one is my life verse since my sixth grade calling to serve Our Lord...but Psalm 37 is my focus today...because although I know this verse, I never thought about
WHAT ARE THE DESIRES OF MY HEART?
No further than thinking about how I want to deepen my walk with Christ and LIVE what I believe in front of others so that they will see and want to taste & see the same goodness of the Lord. I have failed miserably in showing what is in my heart to others!

1) The desires of my heart are:
to know, love & serve God so that others are drawn to Him.
...to minister the love He pours into me to the people in my daily life.
...to begin to follow the mission He has set before me here in Mexico.
...to know HOW He wants me to serve Him
...to share Jesus with those I meet and those who know me in such a way that they will come to salvation or want to enrich their lives walking & following Christ's model.
Effectively witness.
...to pray more effectively & to be able to focus on God's will. To flow in God's Word & my understanding of scripture
...to write words, or songs from the outpouring of His Spirit in me.
...to be where He wants me to be & in His will.
...to love & be loved with an unconditional love with no strings attached or controlling issues with humans the way that Christ loves me
...to not let emotions rule my life or ruin it. To break free from past
and walk in that freedom not just talk about it! To live my faith before God & thus others.
...to find a balance in my life.
...to finally get it right & the change would radiate from me, that I would be AGLOW with Jesus' light,
my tongue would be bridled & my heart would be changed toward significant people in my life.

2) all of the above.

Father, Thank You for leading me to this study with Tracy where my heart & life will be transformed by the power of Your Holiness & Word!
I love You! I love how You always send the answer to my prayers in a very visible means. I stand together with Tracy & her prayer that You would draw each person here as she is anointed to minister Your Word & transforming power. I ask that my heart & spirit would be open and enlightened. Thank You for a spirit of wisdom & revelation throughout this study so I will come to know You better. Thank You that I am rooted & established in Your love! Your unfailing, unfathomable, perfect love for each of us! Bless Tracy & the time she takes to prepare & share this study. I expect great heart changes & a beautiful butterfly being transformed on Easter morn...and I give You all the glory, honor & praise in Jesus Christ's Name, I pray

Thank you Tracy...looking forward to Thursday & more!

GranthamLynn said...

Oh I am so excited to find you and your study today on day one. I believe God sent me over. I never happen on swaps or things in the beginning. This is a first so I know God wants me to have a makeover. This is a special word for me I'll share later. I will be joining you. Thanks for offering this. I'll work on the study questions and post later.
Many Blessings to you.
Sherry

Julie Arduini said...

Thank you so much for this study, it's exactly where God has me in so many other sermons, devotions, etc...

1. The desires of my heart is to be a good steward of all He has given to me. I'm a wife, mom, writer, teacher, encourager and I really want to glorify Him in all these things.

2. I believe God is taking me on a transformation where Julie diminishes and Jesus increases. I'd love to get to the place where there is nothing left of Julie!

I really believe this is a message He wants all to receive, especially women---what this study is about. I'm excited and plan to promote this study and your site on my blog Thursday!

sailorcross said...

Thanks, Tracy, for doing this study!! I'm a day late, but I'm here!!

1. The desires of my heart--to see my adult children accept the love and sacrifice of Jesus.

To be a more effective witness for Christ.

To be able to learn to love the unlovable.

To see others as God sees them, not as I see them.

2. How I would like to be transformed--I want to be able to trust God completely, have complete faith in all things and in all ways. I want to God to transform me to be more transparent to others so that when they see or hear me, they see the love of God shining through me.

My personal goals are to learn to walk more closely with God, learn to consult with Him about every decision I make--even the smallest ones, and to have God be the center and complete focus of everything I do and say. I want what I accomplish in my life to be what God wants me to accomplish--to be more God-centered and less me-centered.

Beth

Larie Carlice Proverbs 27:19 said...

Sorry I'm late Tracy, but I plan to get caught up so that I can participate on time next Tuesday.

I don't know what the desires of my heart are. I thought I knew but when I thought about it, I was "drawing a blank," so I have asked God to tell me what they are, why they are, and if they are in agreement with His plans.

I want to be transformed into the woman whose husband trust his heart with her, Proverbs 31:11 and the woman who fears the LORD, Proverbs 31:30.

I want God to change me gently.

My personal goals are to be transformed by God's hand, not mine, willingly and to stay transformed.

I am reading this in hopes of getting help and accountability in my transformation.

Lastly, "Sometimes our hearts are stubborn. I know my heart can act like a spoiled 2 yr. old throwing a temper tantrum! (anyone identify with that????) It wants what it wants and it wants it NOW! My heart can be very selfish and very self- centered. Sometimes our hearts can be filled with anger or unforgiveness. We feel we are right in a broken relationship and our hearts become hardened to that person." I identify Tracy and I want to be rid of my selfish heart.

smooches,
Larie

Peggy said...

Blessings Tracy...On considering this further, I was thinking my "delights" should be:
(1) to see my adopted grown children returning to a life with Christ & seeds that were planted to burst forth in their hearts & life; returning them to their salvation
(2) to know what God wants to do in my marriage since it has been a long time since it was a marriage (if ever) whether God wants it restored, rekindled or what; since the other half does not see that possibility-irreconcilable differences & conflicts when we are together, but I believe that God is a God of the impossible-and I just wait...I need to see his strong beliefs changed to accept Christ, though he believes in God, that's it...not the Bible, not organized church, etc. ...his retirement has him more set in living his life his way!

Now I did not list these very prominent "delights" because they are not really delights just hard work and much desired! I know that they would delight the Lord & I'd be delighted to see my seemingly endless, repetitive prayers answers
but I have grown too weary in this battle. I never even saw these as "delights" though years ago, they were the delights of my life & my heart was looking forward to seeing
this & rejoicing as a family.

I think I need to look into what is the meaning of "delights" and what delights the Lord! I guess on Tues,
I was thinking these were selfish but actually they are the most sacrificial...meaningful...and most pressing, but draining me spiritually leaving me in a constant "needy" state so I try to rise above them and press on to others. I need my heart to be tender towards them and much of what I wrote was a reflection of this.

Teri said...

Before I post my answers I just want to say that I've been needing a Bible Study on this very subject so thank you for starting it. I plan to be faithful to read and glean whatever the Holy Spirit leads me to.

Here are my answers to your questions.

2. Make a list of ways you would like to be transformed during this bible study.

In how and what I think of myself.
In how I relate to/communicate with my husband and others.
In how I spend my time without wasting it.
Learning scripture with tools to memorize it.

How do you want God to change you?

I want God to change the way I see, think and what I believe about myself.

What are your personal goals with this study?

To draw nearer to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ without hesitation and learning how to do so without placing guilt on myself for not trying harder.

What are your personal expectations?

I expect to learn how to memorize scripture so it's written on the tablet of my heart.
I expect to glean from the Word of God how to be a holy woman of God over just being a Christian going through the motions (going to church, reading a few scriptures and or devotions and praying occasionally).

Why are you reading this?

I'm tired of just getting enough of God's Word to get me by. I want more so here seeking resources to get more of God's Word in me by gleaning from what I read from someone's life lessons to apply to my own life.

What do you hope to accomplish?

A heart surrendered, submitted to God's control/will not Teri's control/will.



Write in your own words what God is going to do.

God is going to replace my hard Teri willed heart with a God willed heart, one that seeks after doing God's will not Teri's will then I not only will call Him my God He will be my God and I will be one of His people.

Does that get you excited? Definitely