Gathering at the Well


Gathering At the Well


Maintaining Home Peace in Times of Chaos

The discussion questions are:
Life's storms will come sometimes when we least expect them, how do we give our children a "safe feeling" in the midst of a life storm?
Sometimes chaos is created by our own efforts of trying to do too much, how can we maintain a peaceful home where chaos is prevented?
How can we as wives and mothers actually calm the storm?

"If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!"

I have experienced first hand this little "truth!" I have seen with my own eyes the affects on our family when I set the tone- both negatively and positively. If I am stressed, hurried, upset.....it trickles down to the kids. If I am positive, they will generally reflect that (taking into personalities and hormones!).

I guess the example comes to mind of getting ready and getting out the door for school in the morning (or soccer practice, Sunday School....). If we are running late, I can yell, freak out, be frantic.....and the kids follow suit. Or, I can be calm, cheerful, going to God in prayer in the midst of our struggle, asking God for help.

A gentle answer turns away wrath. Proverbs 15:1

Be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry....
James 1:19

I want to be that Proverbs 31 woman who speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction on her tongue, setting about her tasks daily, blessing her family and all those around her.

I want to be the woman of 1Peter 3 whose beauty doesn't come from outward adornments, but a GENTLE and QUIET spirit....a spirit at REST in her faith.

How do I achieve this attitude?

Only through a relationship with Christ through...

Prayer!

A prayerful home is a peaceful home!

Philippians 4:4-9: Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again rejoice: Rejoice! (Not only in at the birthday party, but during the difficult times- in ALL circumstances!) Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything (THERE'S THAT EVERY CIRCUMSTANCE AGAIN!) by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving (heart attitude again!), present your requests to God. (OK! LISTEN TO THIS!!!) Then the PEACE that passes all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."

No matter how chaotic, stressful, difficult our circumstances, when we choose to give thanks to God for all that He has done and all that He is....turning to Him in prayer, then HIS PEACE fills our hearts and minds.

Paul goes on in verses 8 and 9 telling us to guard our thinking and then the peace of God will be with you.


Another thing I have found in my home is the need to keep it picked up. When our home is chaotic, we feel unorganized, disjointed, stressed....

God is not a God of chaos....

So, I have found it is important to keep our home straightened (even if there are dustballs in the corners...). The kids also feel so much better when their rooms are tidied. It sounds so simple, but we feel better when our home is organized.

Please visit the Gathering at the Well to find more wonderful wisdom on keeping a peaceful home!


7 thoughts shared....:

Joyfull said...

I enjoyed this very much and found so much in common! Calm answers, are my desire also, a prayerful home and a thankful heart are the ways to deflate the hot spots of leaving on time, being harried etc. Thanks for a great encouragement today!

Denise said...

Fantastic post.

Laurie Ann said...

Tracy, the truths listed here rang in my ears - prayer, relationship, gentleness...great words of wisdom! Thanks for sharing.

LAURIE said...

I loved what you said "a prayful home is a peaceful home" - many times we as momma's set the standard as far as what the attitude is and I know when I have slacked in my prayer time or alone time with God it will be reflected in my attitude. I snap quicker, I have less patience, and I run late....the attitude we reflect is what we can expect in return in our homes. What a huge responsibility but if we would just rest in Him and draw our strength from His Word, our attitudes will reflect that and then it can only be a domino affect. -Great post today, Laurie

Larie Carlice Proverbs 27:19 said...

"A prayerful home is a peaceful home!"

I love it Tracy! I will have to post this somewhere that I can see it all day.

smooches,
Larie

Angela said...

I want to be that Proverbs 31 woman who speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction on her tongue, setting about her tasks daily, blessing her family and all those around her.

No matter how chaotic, stressful, difficult our circumstances, when we choose to give thanks to God for all that He has done and all that He is....turning to Him in prayer, then HIS PEACE fills our hearts and minds.

amen amen amen!!!! Your devotional was FILLED with God's truths...and freedom..thanks sis.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Thank you for sharing this. It is definitely needed to have prayer time and I definitely think that having organization as opposed to chaos helps the home, too. Great answers!

Sherry