Word-filled Wednesday

Today is "Ash Wednesday" or the beginning of the Lenten season in the Christian church. It marks the 40 days before Easter when we prepare our hearts for the Passion and the Resurrection of our Christ. At our church, we receive ashes on our forehead to remind us that we came from dust and to dust we will return....but we need a Savior to redeem us. The ashes are used from the preceding year's palm branches from Palm Sunday.


It has been a tradition in churches to "give up" something for Lent....an act of sacrifice to remind us of the sacrifice Jesus endured.

Like chocolate or TV or smoking could ever compare to the painful, torturous, humiliation Jesus endured for us. That He became sin. That for a moment He was separated from Father.

But, it is a way to deny our flesh....an act of willful dying to self. A time to set our hearts and minds on Jesus.

Thankfully, Jesus dying on the cross is NOT the end...but the beginning. The "story" doesn't end with His death. If that was it, that was all....there would be.....no hope.



But Jesus did not stay dead. He was resurrected. He is the Resurrection. He can bring to life any dead thing in your life. Dead relationships. Dead hopes. Dead dreams.



Please join me for this 40 day journey...making a commitment to get to know this beautiful Jesus. Consider fasting. But always remember Jesus is the ONLY answer.


Please visit Amydeanne for more WFW.


17 thoughts shared....:

Anonymous said...

What a reminder... Thank you for sharing this...it is challenging and something I will be thinking and praying about.

Blessings to you today.

Alex said...

Amazing, isn't He!? Blessings to you this week!

Addicted to Beadz said...

Amen!

Thanks for sharing!

Happy WFW!

Cheryl

Denise said...

Thanks for this lovely WFW.

Beth in NC said...

That is wonderful Tracy. Thank you for the reminder of Lent! I pray this will encourage many of us to fast from something until Easter.

Many blessings!
Beth

Tammy said...

Thank you for the reminder that whatever we do should draw us closer to Him & He is the answer! Taking you up on your challenge but praying about what my fast will be...have a blessed WFW!

Amydeanne said...

the verse was 1 timothy 5:7 (NLT) sorry it was small on the picture so hard to see!

I've got you added to Mr. Linky too since he wasn't happy with me this morning lol

Great verse, and I'm hoping to know Jesus better this season as well!

God Bless!

Deanna said...

My post is very similar to yours. I feel the same way. How can any sacrifice we make compare to what he did for us? However, I am glad that the sacrifice I make will keep my heart and mind focused on Him during this 40 day Journey to the Cross!

Laurie Ann said...

Awesome reminder, Tracy. Great post and very vivid picture and Scripture. Thank you for stirring my soul. Happy WFW!

Susan said...

Hey Tracy,

One of my ALL time favorite scriptures, my first to memorize many years ago.

Great post too.

Blessings to you as you pursue Him deeper this lent.

gail said...

wonderful, wonderful encouragement. contemplating what to give up for lent. thank you for your challenge.

Vickie said...

He paid such a sacrifice for us. Thank you for such a beautiful post.

Vickie

Anonymous said...

My church, though we are Christina, does not do Lent. Among the kids at my school, the ones who do it, do not think about its meaning, and really do not care. THey all give up sweets, and that is all they think about. I think it is a good thing if you do it with meaning.

Lauren ANn

Larie Carlice Proverbs 27:19 said...

Great ways to help you focus on Christs' sacrifice for our sins.

I am so thankful for the weekly celebration of His death and resurrection by way of taking the Lord's Supper every Sunday.

Taking the Lord's Supper every Sunday is a memorial commemorating Jesus' sacrifice for us, (Acts 20:7 & 1 Corinthians 11:23-26).

smooches,
Larie

Rebecca said...

What an insightful post. And a haunting photo. Perfect for this season.

Toia said...

God is an awesome God!! It is because that God sacrificed, His Son, (Jesus) for me, so that I may be free!! Thanks so much for sharing!! Happy WFW!!

LauraLee Shaw said...

Love it. The verse my faith is built on, and one of the first ones I ever heard...