What are YOU learning?

Wow! I am getting a late start this morning! But, I wanted to continue to join Gina at Chat with an Old Lady....so "better late than never" as my mama says!

I was pondering Deuteronomy 11:18-21:


"Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your
hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children,
talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when
you lie down and when you get up. Write them on the doorframes of your
houses and on your gates, so that your days and the days of your children may be
many in the land that the LORD swore to give your forefathers, as many as the
days that the heavens are above the earth."


The funny thing is...I hadn't been "studying these verses recently. But, that's what "hiding His Word in our hearts" is all about. It becomes a part of us. The Holy Spirit will put us in remembrance of verses when we need them!

Anyway, I have been thinking about these verses because I have been purposefully teaching my kids His Word, "talking about them when we sit and walk, lie down and get up." We have always talked about the Word, talked about God, watched movies like Veggie Tales, sang Christian songs....

BUT amazing things have been happening when I have taken the NEXT step- really TEACHING the Word, talking about what it means, using it in everyday situations....

It all began with Edie when she shared how she teaches her grandchildren bible verses with a reward system. My kids have TAKEN OFF with this! We have been learning a new verse almost daily. The kids even initiate learning the verse first thing in the morning ("When you get up") even if I don't remember (you see, that candy is a GREAT motivator!) But, then, all through the day, driving to school ("walking along the road"), setting the table (when you sit at home), and tucking them in at night (when you lie down). We have had wonderful conversations about the WORD!

Wednesday we learned 1John 3:18, "Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth." We talked about how LOVE means more than saying "I love you," but how LOVE is an action. We talked about what this LOOKS like in life. They got the "obvious" things, like "reading the Bible, praying, going to church." They got the "big" things we do- sponsoring a child through Compassion International. and visiting the nursing home. But, loving in actions means the "little things" that maybe no one else may notice. We went "deeper" and discussed things like being nice to kids at school, even when they aren't nice back, using kind words, saying I'm sorry, forgiving others.....

We also did something else really fun when I tucked in the kids (when you lie down). I told them about something I like to do sometimes during my prayer/worship time when I am out walking in the mornings. I like to think about God and His names and attributes using the alphabet. I go through the alphabet and think of a word that represents God using each letter. For example, A is for AWESOME, B is for BEAUTIFUL, C is for CARING...... Well, personally, I have not usually gotten past G or H...but the boys and I went all through to Z!!!!

I am learning, as I grow as a Christian, to teach my children about God. God is part of every moment of my life! I have a RELATIONSHIP with Him and He is the most important part of me. Unless I share that with my family, they won't know. They can't "read my mind." I am beginning to open up my own personal relationship with them. It's weird- I will share all of these truths with women when I am speaking or on my blog, but sometimes I would FORGET to share these truths with my own family! Or, life would get busy and we would be running here and there..... God is always a part of everything, from Christian radio to prayer, but (and I don't know if I am explaining this very well!) I am beginning to share my very most intimate, personal aspects of my relationship with God with them. I have been making my "silent" prayers in my head OUT LOUD prayers.

AND, I have been so much more intentional about teaching them the Word daily! We discuss what it "looks like" in everyday life.

Moms, our generation has gotten into a VERY BAD habit of sitting back and letting our church or Christian school do all of the teaching. We think they are getting what they need there and we have released our position as "teacher" to them. But, God is very specific telling us it is OUR responsibility to teach our kids ALL THE TIME!

Lord, may I always tie these Words of Yours on my heart and mind! May my children seek You and Your Word. May Your Word be part of every fiber of our beings! In Jesus' Name we pray. Amen!

Please visit Gina to see what SHE is learning! And, I would love to hear what YOU are learning!

9 thoughts shared....:

Debbie Petras said...

I love how you teach your children. I still remember learning the whole chapter of Romans 12 as a child in Vacation Bible School. It comes back to me now. Children can memorize so much easier than adults so tucking those verses in their hearts as kids is so important.

Debbie Petras said...

I'm so glad you commented on Heart Choices today and let me know about your computer problems. I wasn't sure what happened when I was in the middle of adding my comment. But I'm glad I came back.

Although I was unable to have children, I was so thankful to have the opportunity to teach children in Bible study for 8 years. They are like little sponges. And if a parent is willing to teach and also model what it is to be in relationship with Jesus, how beautiful that is. It's not always what I say but also what I do that demonstrates if you really believe.

My friend Jamie is such a good example of one who teaches her kids through word and deed. I love to visit them and listen myself like I'm a child. I may have avoided many mistakes along the way if I had been taught like that. But I guess lessons are also learned through mistakes too. Sorry this is so long but you did get me thinking.

Laurie Ann said...

I love your teaching style here! You sound like a true D6 family! Awesome, Tracy!

mama's smitten said...

What a wonderful example . Thank you for sharing.What could be more important ! I'm in!

Kathryn said...

So true, Tracy. I agree with you, and there are so many opportunities throughout the day to teach our children and show them how God's Word applies to everything, even the most insignificant or mundane activities. What could be more important?!

PS-I finally got around to thanking you for the Helping Hands award. :-) It's in yesterday's post: "Believer or Deceiver?".

Love ya, sistah!

Denise said...

Bless you dear, as you teach your children such wisdom.

Marsha said...

You are so right when you said,

"Moms, our generation has gotten into a VERY BAD habit of sitting back and letting our church or Christian school do all of the teaching. We think they are getting what they need there and we have released our position as "teacher" to them. But, God is very specific telling us it is OUR responsibility to teach our kids ALL THE TIME!"

It IS our responsibility as parents.

Great post.

Have a blessed weekend.

PS Thanks for stopping by today. See you again soon.

Unknown said...

Thank you! Thank you! for sharing!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you! Thank you! for sharing!!!