What are YOU learning?

WELCOME BACK to another week of "What are YOU Learning?" hosted by Gina at Chats with an Old Lady.

This week, I am going to begin a "study" under the theme of "Does it REALLY matter????"

At my small group Bible Study we have been discussing eternity and life here on earth. We listened to a great song, Motions, by Matthew West that prompted a question, "Does it matter if we just 'go through the motions'? Does it matter if I live passionately for God, or can I just blend in with the world...doing what 'everybody else is doing'? Why does it matter how we live? IF we're saved, then we're all going to Heaven, so what's the difference?"

Whew! As you can imagine, there is so much to discuss...so much scripture to apply! So, I am going to take the next few weeks and look at a different aspect and different scriptures.

Why does it seem like the ungodly or unbelievers have it "great"? Or even some Believers who rebelliously live in sin- and "get away with it"? Why does it seem like some Believers have a tough time while ungodly neighbors or friends seem "blessed"- everything is going well for them?

My friend reminded me of one of my favorite Psalms- Psalm 37.
Do not fret because of evil men or be envious of those who do wrong; for like the grass they will soon wither, like green plants they will soon die away. Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him and He will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun. Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him; do not fret when men succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes. (verses 1- 7)
God doesn't want us to "fret" or worry about this! When WE delight ourselves in God, He will give us the desires of our hearts...when WE trust in Him and DO GOOD, we will enjoy God's safety, when we COMMIT our lives to Him, He will make our righteousness shine.
But, Tracy, this is what we just said, I look around and this is NOT HAPPENING!
Verse 7 says to WAIT patiently for God. We may not SEE the fulfillment of this until eternity. We have to remember that THIS EARTH is not our home.
Look at the first verse. God says "like the grass they will soon wither, like GREEN plants they will soon die away." Grass is lush and green in the Spring and in the Summer...but it eventually turns brown and withers. Think of green plants. I love tulips. They have beautiful green leaves. But, eventually the leaves turn brown.
Think of John 15. Jesus says that He is the true vine. We are the branches. God, the Gardener cuts away every dead branch. We have to be connected to THE VINE to thrive.
We had a live Christmas tree. It was a beautiful spruce....fragrant, green, lush. A week after New Year's, I took the tree down, put away the ornaments and put the tree out to the curb to be taken away, cut up and used as mulch. When it was out at the curb, the kids asked if we could just put it in the ground. Could we just plant it in dirt?
No. It had been cut away from the vine, the roots.
Even though it still looked green, it was dead. There was no life.
The "evil men" are connected to the True Vine. They will wither. They will die. But, they may be green for a while...
Refrain from anger and turn from wrath;
do not fret- it leads only to evil.
For evil men will be cut off,
but those who hope in the LORD
will inherit the land.
I am reminded again that because I TRUST in HIM, not myself, not the world, not the "wisdom" of the world, I will inherit the land! I have an inheritance in Him! I have an eternal future. In this world, I may endure suffering, but there will be a day when "He wipes away every tear."
A little while, and the wicked will be no more;
though you look for them, they will not be found.
But the meek will inherit the land
and enjoy great PEACE. (10-11)
I will enjoy great peace!
And, in case you think that God doesn't notice:
The wicked plot against the righteous and gnash their teeth at them;but the LORD laughs at the wicked,for He knows their day is coming. (12-13)
God is a righteous, Holy God. He doesn't excuse the behavior of the wicked. It is so important to ponder a few things. First, it is NOT GOD'S DESIRE that the wicked perish. It is His will that no one would perish! But, He gave us free will and allows us to make our own choice. He doesn't force us to choose Him. He doesn't force us to love Him. And, secondly, we don't have to fight our own battles. WE don't have to "worry" or "fret" about what is right, what is wrong, why are the "wicked" getting away "with it"! Leave it to God. Keep YOUR EYES on Him....you delight in Him....
And, He is watching that as well....
Better the little that the righteous have than the wealth of many wicked;for the power of the wicked will be broken,but the LORD upholds the righteous.The days of the blameless are known to the LORD, and their inheritance will endure forever. In times of disaster they will not wither;in days of famine they will enjoy plenty. (16-19)
"...the days of the blameless are known to the LORD..." God is watching. He is "keeping track" of the good things you are doing. Your inheritance will endure forever. Your passion, your "walking blameless" follows you forever into eternity- it endures FOREVER! I WILL NOT WITHER!!!! I am attached to the True Vine....I get my life from Him.
But the wicked will perish:
The LORD's enemies will be like the beauty of the fields, they
will vanish- vanish like smoke.
Again, God gives us a visual. The wicked will perish. But, first, they will be beautiful. Think of a field of wildflowers or tulips. Imagine its beauty. The wicked will have a time where you look at them and it seems great...beautiful, successful, everything going their way, "the universe is blessing them". But, look what happens. It vanishes like smoke. Smoke and mirrors. Smoke is ugly, choking, can't breathe, can't see, then it is gone.
If the LORD delights in a man's way, He makes his steps firm;
though he STUMBLE, he will not FALL, for the LORD upholds him with His
hand.I was young and now I am old; yet I have never seen the
righteous forsaken or their children begging bread.
They are always generous and lend freely;
their children will be blessed.
Turn from evil and do good;
then you will dwell in the land forever.
For the LORD loves the just and will not forsake His faithful ones.
They will be protected forever,
but the offspring of the wicked will be cut off;
the righteous will inherit the land and dwell forever.
(23-29)
The salvation of the righteous comes from the LORD; He is
their stronghold in times of trouble. The LORD helps them and delivers them;
He delivers them form the wicked and saves them,
because they take refuge in Him. (39-40)
Father, thank You that You are always watching over me. When I read this Psalm, I am again reminded that I must tell others about You! You don't want one to perish. You forgive a person, no matter how "wicked" they have been. You have forgiven me in my wickedness! I am the chiefest of sinners! Help me to shine Your Light to everyone around me. Lord, help me to not fret or worry when life doesn't seem fair. I purpose to keep my eyes off of the "wicked" wondering why they have it so "easy," and keep my eyes on You! I remember, Lord, that I have an ETERNAL inheritance. When I walk blameless, keeping my eyes on You, You remember. It follows me into eternity. Lord, thank You for Your Word. I love You, Lord.
Please visit Gina at "Chat with an Old Lady" to what she is learning!

5 thoughts shared....:

Denise said...

Thanks for sharing the powerful truth.

Laurie Ann said...

Tracy, awesome life lessons here - we must remember to be about our Father's business and trust Him to deal with those who aren't in His sovreignty and justice. Thanks for sharing...

Jean Stockdale said...

Great post. Thanks for sharing. I am studying Philippians and teaching it to my MOMS group on Thrusday at 10:45 online if you are interested. Click on www.bellevue.org and click on Watch and Listen and follow the prompts to Moms-Spring 2009. The messages are archived. The series is called Joy in the Journey and it seems to go along with what you are studying. I hope it will be a blessing to you.

Unknown said...

AWESOME! Thank you for sharing!

Natalie said...

Thats awesome! I am reminded of Job, when we think of the righteous going through tribulation. It's a sign of Heavenly Father's trust in Job. 1 Corinthians 10:13 Heavenly Father "will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."

When I am faced with trials, that scripture gives me courage. I know that I am strong enough to bear it, if I take advantage of that escape.