At the Well

Monday, August 4, 2008
Your host:
Natalie at I AM (not)

Your topic:
Having a Family Vision

Your Discussion Question:Do you have a vision for your family? If so, share it with us. If not, what do you think it would be?

What an amazing challenge Natalie posed to us today! She writes:

Why does having a family vision matter?Well, I've learned over the years from many people, including my pastor, that (and I might be botching this up pretty darn good) everyone ends up somewhere, but few end up somewhere on purpose. (that was close)

Meaning, unless we set a vision before our family on all levels, we might not end up where we thought we should. We can have ideas and dreams for what our family and our kids might look like 5, 10, 20 years down the road, but without defining those vision in concrete and purposeful ways, we'll probably not look much like what we dream.

Proverbs 29:18 (in the good ol' King James Version) says, "Where there is no vision, the people perish..."


Whew! I am one of the "everyone who ends up somewhere, but not on purpose!" :( I often have a VISION of what I want us to be, how I want us to be, WHO I want us to be..... it is the follow thru, planning, and organization that "gets me." I tend to be a "dreamer" and can fall prey to living my life in the future if I am not careful. I tend to procrastinate, thinking I have plenty of time to do this or that. I often wait to the last possible minute of a deadline..... Ugh!!!!
It's not that I don't know better! I have seen the statistics on setting goals, making plans, etc. I try, I really do! So, all this to say, when I read Natalie's "challenge" (she doesn't call it such, but I am taking it on!!!!), I felt a pang of conviction!!! I want to land somewhere "on purpose!" I desire that our family would be a light shining in the world... I desire that, like Natalie's family, we would be "Kingdom Minded". I want US as a family to live for the Lord! I want US as a family to make a difference for His Kingdom! I want to leave as a legacy a family that is IN LOVE with the Lord Jesus Christ, on fire, crazy, radical "Jesus Freaks", living life for Him!
Hmmmm....... How does that happen????????? (Especially now with a middle schooler who would shudder and turn 3 shades of red being known as any kind of "freak"). How do we as a family make Jesus our center of life? How do we do this as a family, when I struggle with it at times as a person??
I like how Natalie recommends to sit down and write out goals and the how to. A few years ago we began writing out family New Year's Resolutions together. It has been a highlight for us each year. But, I have to say, we struggle with the follow thru. I can't even tell you what our resolutions were for 2208!!!!!
I know it is important to keep things posted where you can read them every day- like the bathroom mirror. And, I know it is important to back up goals with scripture.
So, what I want to do is have a date with my family and write a vision. I want to put into practice real life, practical ideas, like the kids have devotion time, reading the Word together, serving together, and coming up with some "ground rules" of things that glorify/don't glorify God. (Like watching the movie "Hellboy" or any other weirdo thing an almost teenage boy can come up with!).
I am excited to read ideas of other wise women of the well! Thanks, Natalie for an awesome topic and thanks, Chelsey again for obeying God's call to bring us to the well!
Father God, thank You for this beautiful family You have blessed me with. I surrender it to You, knowing You are the Vision Caster. I know You have set a dream in my heart for what we should BE and by Your Grace we will be transformed from Glory to Glory into the family You have created. Give us wisdom and discernment, especially Brian and I....Give us strength to be "different" than other families we may know. Thank You that You have amazing plans for us. We trust in You, Lord, with all of our hearts, leaning not upon our own understanding, but in all of our ways, acknowledging You and You are making our paths straight, You are directing our steps. Praise You, Lord! In Jesus' Name we pray. Amen.

9 thoughts shared....:

Leah Adams said...

Those are certainly some things to think about and ponder. A vision for my family??? I don't even know where to start. At one point in my marriage my vision would have been to just stay married for another year :0) Now things are more stable and the vision is different.

I will certainly be thinking on this post!!

Leah

Michele Williams said...

It's a good idea to involve the family in the vision. Wow..you have resolutions thru 2208? lol... I'm glad I'm not the only one to make typo's...

I look forward to reading more of your previous blogs.. they look great!

LauraLee Shaw said...

Love your prayer at the end. It is through His fruit of self-control and love that we can carry out any vision or goal at all. Your heart came shining through this post. Is your husband's name Brian too?

Colored Heart said...

"Whew! I am one of the "everyone who ends up somewhere, but not on purpose!" :( I often have a VISION of what I want us to be, how I want us to be, WHO I want us to be..... it is the follow thru, planning, and organization that "gets me." I tend to be a "dreamer" and can fall prey to living my life in the future if I am not careful. I tend to procrastinate, thinking I have plenty of time to do this or that. I often wait to the last possible minute of a deadline..... Ugh!!!!"

Sister, you can read minds? LOL!:P You actually echoed my thoughts... word per word! This is amazing! We are called the "I" or "Influence" people according to Solving The People Puzzle of WorldTeach. We are innovative, captivating audience and the life of the party. We are the cheerleaders, the visionaries, the encouragers, the speakers... but the flipside is, we tend to live too much for the future and lacks sense of organization. That's "I" alright. Sigh. Good thing we have Peter as an "I". I love the guy! Let's pray we will learn from God to value the "follow through" and be faithful. Your prayer below your post is my prayer too. God bless us, sister. Shalom!:)

Denise said...

This was wonderful.

Anonymous said...

I'd like for our family to have family devotions again. We used to do that and then got out of the routine of it. One thing I've just recently started is Bible time with my older daughter. She has Bible curriculum she does with her school work. I decided to take that curriculum and just do the lessons together at night after our baby girl has gone to bed. It's time spent with just me and my older daughter and it's spent doing Bible study! It's working out pretty well!

Hope you have a great week!
Karen
www.homesteadblogger.com/tagblog

Deborah said...

So true that it is hard to do this with older children. My son and husband probably won't even try to name anything...but I'm going to try.
Deborah

Anonymous said...

Tracy,

Another dreamer here! I love to make plans and wax philosophic, but I get tripped up in the day-to-day execution of it. I avoid beating myself up over it and try to just get back on track when I realize that I'm off of it.

Moving in a forward direction...that's what we say in our house. It may feel slow, but forward is forward. There is a quote by C.S. Lewis that I love:

"Progress means getting nearer to the place where you want to be. And if you have taken a wrong turning, then to go forward does not get you any nearer. If you are on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road, and in that case the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive man."

Thanks for sharing!

Blessings,
Dena

Laurie Ann said...

He is the Perfect Vision Caster. He will give you what you need. May God bless you as ya'll plan your family vision!