What are YOU learning?

I would like to invite you to participate in a new meme on Fridays hosted by my dear Sister, Gina from "Chats with an Old Lady." Gina is challenging us to be in His Word on (hopefully) daily basis, come together, and share what God is teaching us through His Word. If you haven't been over to Gina's blog, please stop over ASAP. She is "Proverbs 31 woman," full of wisdom with a humble heart, seeking the Lord with all of her heart. She shares what she is learning openly and honestly. I am very excited about this new meme encouraging us to grow in His Word and share what He is teaching us.



I have been studying the book of Jonah and really enjoying it! I am on chapter 1, taking it very slowly and finding SO MUCH truth in each verse.



Jonah Flees From the LORD

1 The word of the LORD came to Jonah son of Amittai: 2 "Go to the great city of Nineveh and preach against it, because its wickedness has come up before me."
3 But Jonah ran away from the LORD and headed for Tarshish. He went down to Joppa, where he found a ship bound for that port. After paying the fare, he went aboard and sailed for Tarshish to flee from the LORD.
4 Then the LORD sent a great wind on the sea, and such a violent storm arose that the ship threatened to break up. 5 All the sailors were afraid and each cried out to his own god. And they threw the cargo into the sea to lighten the ship. But Jonah had gone below deck, where he lay down and fell into a deep sleep. 6 The captain went to him and said, "How can you sleep? Get up and call on your god! Maybe he will take notice of us, and we will not perish."
7 Then the sailors said to each other, "Come, let us cast lots to find out who is responsible for this calamity." They cast lots and the lot fell on Jonah.
8 So they asked him, "Tell us, who is responsible for making all this trouble for us? What do you do? Where do you come from? What is your country? From what people are you?"
9 He answered, "I am a Hebrew and I worship the LORD, the God of heaven, who made the sea and the land."
10 This terrified them and they asked, "What have you done?" (They knew he was running away from the LORD, because he had already told them so.)
11 The sea was getting rougher and rougher. So they asked him, "What should we do to you to make the sea calm down for us?"
12 "Pick me up and throw me into the sea," he replied, "and it will become calm. I know that it is my fault that this great storm has come upon you."
13 Instead, the men did their best to row back to land. But they could not, for the sea grew even wilder than before. 14 Then they cried to the LORD, "O LORD, please do not let us die for taking this man's life. Do not hold us accountable for killing an innocent man, for you, O LORD, have done as you pleased." 15 Then they took Jonah and threw him overboard, and the raging sea grew calm. 16 At this the men greatly feared the LORD, and they offered a sacrifice to the LORD and made vows to him.
17 But the LORD provided a great fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was inside the fish three days and three nights.




Boy, as I read about Jonah's rebellious heart, I see myself. God tells Jonah to go to Nineveh to "cry against it." Does Jonah obey? No! He rose up to flee to Tarshish- the opposite direction to Ninevah.



Oh, Lord, how many times when You tell me to do something do I do the opposite? How many times "do I flee from the presence of the Lord?"



Well, Jonah found a ship to take him to Tarshish, relaxed a bit, went down into the hold of the ship, and....FELL ASLEEP!



I blogged about this on Wednesday for Word-Filled Wednesday. Please take a moment to SCROLL DOWN to WFW to read about sleeping through the storm.....



When Jonah wakes up to find a storm raging around him, the crew cast lots to find out "on whose account this calamity has struck." Of course, the lot falls on Jonah.

Jonah confesses....and then takes responsibility for his sin.

He tells the crew to throw him overboard so that the sea will calm.

I love this part of Jonah's story. I love that although Jonah made many mistakes and rebelliously runs away from God, he takes responsibility and confesses his sin.

My prayer is I have a repentant heart, willing to confess my sin...willing to take responsiblility for my sin. May I say, "throw me into the sea!"

Other things I learned through this passage:

God wants to do great and mighty things through US. He tells Jonah to go to Ninevah, a great and wicked city. Jonah had the chance to be used in a great and mighty way by God- to help save a GREAT and WICKED city.

Oh, Lord, how I want to be used mightily by you!

I see that God CARES about disobedience. He "follows" Jonah and sends a storm to get Jonah's attention. God isn't content to turn his head and ignore Jonah's rebellion. (I wonder how often I get lazy and ignore my children's disobedience because it is easier.)

I also see that God is FORGIVING. He doesn't allow Jonah to drown, but sends a whale to swallow Jonah. He gives Jonah another chance to obey His command.

I love that Jonah is the whale 3 days. Jesus is in the tomb for 3 days. I love that the WHOLE bible, Old and New Testament, points to JESUS!

What is God teaching you through His Word? Won't you please comment and share. Or....maybe you would like to post about it. Either way, please visit have a "chat with an old lady" and visit Gina's blog for more on His wonderful Word!



8 thoughts shared....:

Edie said...

Great thoughts today Tracy. I'm always taken back at Jonah telling the crew to throw him into the sea. It makes me stop and think every time. Even a repentent heart most times would not make that kind of statement.

Have a great weekend!

Larie Carlice Proverbs 27:19 said...

Hey Tracy!

My disobedience is just that, disobedience. My problem is that I think I know better than God. Therefore, when He gives me something to do, if it's something I don't want to do, I ask, "Is this really what you want me to do? This can't be, I must be missing something." Then I have the audacity to just flat out say, "I don't want to do it." I know I have to stop this rebellious attitude.

smooches,
Larie

Laurie Ann said...

There is much to be learned in this book. I loved a sermon series our pastor did on it a while back. It was awesome. He mentioned most of the things you did, but not what you discussed in your WFW post about How Can You Sleep? I love it! Thanks for sharing, Tracy.

Laurie Ann said...

Hi. It's me again. I have something here for you:

http://magnoliaheartbeats.blogspot.com/2009/01/awards-day-sweet-sweet-denise-from.html

Love ya,
Laurie Ann

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Great thougts. You have inspired me to re-read Jonah and try to apply it to my life. I am pretty much constantly turning my head away from Tarshish and back towards ninevah.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing this week! I'm so glad you joined me!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing this week! I'm so glad you joined me!!!

Denise said...

Such awesome thoughts my friend.