Lord, I need You DAILY....

I was out running the other morning. It was quiet and I was thrilled being alone with God. I love to run on country roads where I can sing to the ipod at the top of my lungs. I can pray out loud in the Spirit. And, as I was running I began pondering my summer and the time I have (and haven't) spent with God.


There were weeks where I didn't crack open my Bible. Many mornings I skipped "quiet time" to begin the business of a summer day. Yes, I pray everyday all through the day. And, yes, most mornings I begin with a walk or run to talk to God. But, I haven't been continually soaking in the Word and spending quality TIME alone and quiet before Him, allowing Him to "work" on my heart.


I wasn't "filling up" on Him daily. I was often depending on Sunday morning church or the Monday evening Bible study I lead to "get filled." God again reminded me of how important it is to have DAILY intimate time with Him.


As I pondered all of this, God asked me, "Tracy, would you drink a long glass of water on Sunday (or Monday) and then not drink anything again until the next week- the next Sunday or Monday?"


Think about that. Ponder it. Imagine how THIRSTY you would be....


Imagine in your mind a full glass of water freshly filled on Sunday morning. Leave it out on the kitchen counter. What would happen? The water slowly evaporates out. Now imagine you need to also use that cup of water to fill other cups. Your husband's cup. Your children's. Your aging parents' cup. There is a cup marked "career or job." There is another marked "home". You slowly pour from YOUR cup into the others. Very soon YOUR cup would be empty.


Think of this spiritually. When you "fill up" spiritually....going to God....allowing Him to "get your heart right"....to renew your mind....to fill you to the measure of all the fullness of God...love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness, goodness, and self-control.....to focus on the eternal.....our cups are being poured out. Our kids need us. A friend is going through a severe trial. We need to take aging parents to a doctor's appointment. The laundry never ends.


God again reminded me that DAILY COMMUNION with Him is vital for me to live a victorious, joy-filled, abundant life.

"Some wandered in desert wastelands, finding no way to a city where they could settle (ever feel restless?). They were hungry and THIRSTY, and their lives ebbed away (does your life ever feel like it is "ebbing away"? Sunday turns into Wednesday turns into Friday turns into Sunday again? Where did the summer go?) THEN they cried out to the LORD in their trouble and He delivered them from their distress. He led them by a straight way (see Proverbs 3:5-6) to a city where they could settle. Let them give thanks to the LORD for His unfailing love and His wonderful deeds for men, FOR HE SATISFIES THE THIRSTY AND FILLS THE HUNGRY WITH GOOD THINGS." Psalm 107:4-9


Lord, thank You that You continue to remind me of how important daily time with You is. Thank You for Your patience, especially when I get "off track." Lord, I am sorry I forget at times and allow the busy-ness of life to invade. Sometimes, God, it is even the good things that interrupt that BEST- spending time with You. Thank You, Lord, that You put in my heart such a desire to be with You. I pray for all Believers, and especially for anyone reading this, that does not yet have that desire to "fill up" on You. Put that desire in all of our hearts, Lord. In Jesus' name we pray. Amen.


For a deeper study, read John 4:1-42. Jesus encounters a thirsty woman at the well. You may also enjoy reading Are You Thirsty? and Fill me up, but not with empty cups! and Thirsty for His Presence.


1 thoughts shared....:

Mary Jo said...

Hi! I just found your blog through Networked Blogs on facebook. :) I love it! And this post really spoke to me since this summer I have totally STUNK at spending quiet time and the last 2-3 weeks I've been sick inside because I miss it.

So thanks for allowing Holy Spirit to use you to give me the 400th nudge (hehe) to get back into the swing of things.

You know I often tell people, if I spent as much intimate time with my husband as I have with God lately, I wonder if he would still be married to me. . . .

I've added you to my blogroll. I wannna keep coming back to see what you write!

Mary Hess