Ch-ch-changing.....At the Well

Today at the Well we are talking about ch-ch-change. Yes, I am one who DREADS change. Like my comfortable spot. Definitely NOT one who is "exhilarated" by change.... Nope.

Did you ever see the movie "Babe" (yes, the talking pig)? There were little mice who would narrate commentary on the bottom of the screen throughout the movie. One of the things they say, and if I'm honest, would have to say describes ME, is "THE WAY THINGS ARE." You see, the farm animals were perfectly content to keep things UNCHANGED, which unfortunately for Babe, meant he was to be Christmas dinner. And, too often I am content to settle with THE WAY THINGS ARE because it is "safe" or comfortable, or because the thought of changing seems a bit too scary....or too much hard work.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you
and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Aren't these promises wonderful? God has a perfect plan for us. He is the master designer. His plans are GOOD plans.

But sometimes we forget to read Jeremiah 10: "When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my gracious promise and bring you back to this place."

God was SENDING THEM INTO 70 YEARS OF EXILE INTO A STRANGE, NEW PLACE- BABYLON! You see, God has a plan for us and it often involves CHANGE!

God knows that CHANGE often draws us BACK to Him....crying out to Him.....searching for Him. CHANGE stretches us and often matures our faith.

We CAN NOT GROW if we don't change. Think about all the changes that take place in a baby's first year of life. Without those changes, the baby can't grow.

I think for me, I dread change because my first reaction is that CHANGE will be "bad." But, often, I find that what my spirit "fights" God most about is often the "thing" that brings the most blessing.

For example, 11 years ago, I was so upset about the CHANGE to move here to Iowa from Illinois. I did not want to move away from ALL family and friends. I fought God on it! I dreaded it. And, the first few months were lonely. But, it was a time where I FOUND Jesus Christ! My relationship with Christ bloomed and grew and EXPLODED in that time. Now, Cedar Rapids is our HOME and I love it and am so THANKFUL God brought us here. God knew that this change would be the best for ME and for our family.

Trust.

I have found that through CHANGE, I must TRUST God....in His plan....in His wisdom....in His goodness.

Lord, may I always look to You during times of change. May I always trust in Your wisdom, in Your counsel, in Your plan and purpose. Lord, help me to surrender my life to You, in all areas, so that I may grow and mature in times of change. In Jesus' Name I pray. AMEN!

Please link up to the Well here where you will find many others gathered...chatting about CHANGE.

3 thoughts shared....:

Leah Adams said...

Honestly, I don't know too many people who are excited about change. Not me for sure. However, it is so true. Change often brings incredible blessing. Also, it also brings new opportunities to trust the Lord and walk by faith, as well as opportunities to stand for Him.

The 'change' that I am soooo looking forward to is when this earthly tent is changed into a heavenly body. Now that is change I can warm up to

Love ya,

Leah

annies home said...

I love that thought and will share it with my son about growing with change

Ashley Wells said...

Change is hard, sometimes. But like you said, "We CAN NOT GROW if we don't change." This is so very true!

Thanks for sharing!

-Ashley