I need some time...ALONE!



Are you tired this morning?


Are you full?


Do you feel exhausted already from shopping, decorating, preparing for Christmas?


Take some time to slow down....and be alone!


As I was reading from Mark this morning, I noticed some things about Jesus. He took time to be ALONE! He took time to pray. He purposed to get away from all of the people (including those closest to Him) and spend some one-on-one time with the Father.


In Mark 6, Jesus says to His disciples, "Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest."

Don't you LOVE that? Jesus, who is God incarnate needed to get SOME REST! He recognizes that these earthly bodies are not perfect. We need to take care of our physical bodies and rest them. The SuperMom in me just doesn't get that.... I push and push and push UNTIL I crash and burn.... Then, I get the rest I DON'T like- the crabby, just yelled at my family, feeling lousy, got to go to bed, feel a cold coming on- REST! Before I crash and burn, I need to follow the example of Jesus...and purpose to REST.


As I continue to read on... I see that all the people ran ahead of Jesus. He had been taking a leisurely boat ride to the solitary place, but the people all ran on land and made it there first.


I love that when Jesus saw them, "He had compassion on them." He didn't turn them away. Instead, "He began teaching them many things."


AND THEN...to again show His love and compassion, He FED THEM! They were at this solitary place (remember Jesus wanted to go to a "quiet place" and rest??) where there were no stores to buy food. The disciples tell Jesus to send the people away so they can eat.


But, Jesus wants to feed them. And, I love that He tells His disciples YOU give them something to eat. They think He is crazy....but Jesus has a lesson for us in here as well. Earlier, it says Jesus has compassion on them because they are "like sheep without a shepherd." The message is for us, along with His disciples, to FEED HIS SHEEP, FEED THE LOST. (John 21)


So, Jesus performs this beautiful miracle of feeding over 5,000 people with just five loaves and two fish. He satisfies the people....first their spirits by teaching them, then physically by feeding them. This story in John 6 includes Jesus teaching afterwards that HE is "the Bread of Life."

Some things I notice about "Quiet Time"...

Miracles happen in quiet time.

I am taught "many things" during quiet time.

I am fed in quiet time.

And then, IMMEDIATELY Jesus "made His disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of Him to Bethsaida, while He dismissed the crowd." Mark 6:45

I love the word "immediately." Jesus knew that He needed to be filled as well. He doesn't wait and teach one more principle. He doesn't tell one more story. He doesn't heal one more person. He immediately dismissed the crowd....

After leaving them, He went up on a mountainside to pray. Mark 6:46

Jesus knew the importance of getting alone with the Father. No crowds. No disciples. Just Him and the Father. Maybe to worship? Maybe to thank the Father for the amazing miracles? Maybe just to sit in His presence and be filled.

I know that I also need to do the same thing. I need to go ALONE to a solitary place and sit before the Father and BE FILLED.

Father God, thank You that You sent Jesus not only to be our Savior (like that isn't enough!!!), but also to be an example for us. Help me each day, especially when I am spent, to remember to sit before You and be filled. I love You Lord. In Jesus Name I pray. Amen.


1 thoughts shared....:

Anonymous said...

This was wonderful, and excellently timed to minister to the many women who are rushing about with Christmas plans and errands! It applies to any time, of course. Thank you!