Gathering at the Well

Please, please, please check out the AWESOME post by Gina from Chats with an Old Lady
At the Well today. She talks about what we should wear to the grocery store..... And, yet another reason why I try NOT to watch Oprah..... The world's "wisdom" is SO different than God's! Today she focuses on what we should wear as Christian women.


"...Women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control..." 2 Timothy 2:9,10

Today, let's look at these questions:
What am I allowing myself to be influenced by?
Who do I allow to dictate to me what I should be wearing?
How am I representing the God I claim to love and live for?
Do I know the details of how God wants us to live as well as I know the details of what is in fashion?
Am I seeking to become conformed to the image of Christ...or the image that our ever changing society throws in front of our faces?


I am not one who frets over expensive shoes, the latest fashion, or matching accessories. I have a great purse (I think it is name brand of some kind- I get a lot of compliments on it) that my sister gave me as a gift. She buys me a new purse each year to keep me "in style." In fact, I am on the other extreme- no make-up, work-out clothes, and sometimes not even checking my hair.... I find myself embarrassed if I see someone I know. (AND that is silly! What difference does it make if I "know" the people I see? Do I look presentable or not?????).

It has not always been this way. I used to be very aware and tied to how I looked. I spent thousands of dollars on my wardrobe. I spent lots of time on hair and make-up. So....... I am thankful that I am not tied to that extreme anymore.

But, I am again reminded that, as Christ's ambassador, I do need to spend SOME time looking nice. If I want to witness to the world, they can't look at me and think "yuck!" I need to at least shower!!!!! I have found that I need a BALANCE. And, after going to Baltimore last month with Brian (without kids!), I found that I FELT better when I was dressed in a matching outfit and was "put together." After coming back, I made a new goal of spending more time taking care of myself and how I look.

But, the ONE thing I always wear to the grocery store (and everywhere) else is my cross.

So, when I read today's Gathering Questions, I immediately thought of what, as a Christian, I need to wear daily.

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.


Before I worry about any clothing I put on, I need to first clothe myself with the Lord Jesus Christ. When I am at the store and the clerk makes a mistake, how do I react? With grace? Do I smile reassuringly at the mom with the temper-tamper throwing child? When someone cuts me off and "steals" the parking space I was going to take, do I smile and wave and thank God for an opportunity to bless someone else? Am I patient with my own temper-tamper throwing child as all of Target watches to see how the cross wearing woman reacts?

When I put my ruby cross around my neck, do I put the Cross of Jesus over my heart, mind, behavior, and attitudes?

Please take a few minutes to join us At the Well....check out Gina's post and the other participants' posts. Also, you may enjoy reading these posts:

http://tracyberta.blogspot.com/2007/11/beautiful.html
http://tracyberta.blogspot.com/2008/05/cafe-chat.html
http://tracyberta.blogspot.com/2007/02/beautiful-in-him.html

6 thoughts shared....:

Raye Ann said...

Great point about clothing ourselves in Jesus each and every day. I need to get back in the habit of praying each time I get in the van that God use me that trip.

Blessings
Raye Ann

Joyfull said...

What a beautiful verse which needs to be close in minds and hearts "Clothe yourselves..." May we always clothe ourselves with Jesus. Wonderful post.

Sharon Abbott Cowan said...

Recently on facebook someone posted that it would be the "christian" thing to do to allow others in the turn lane to move into your lane of traffic, particularly if your car has one of your church's magnets and a fish magnet on the back. It reminded me that not only does the cross around my neck let other's know I profess to be a Christian but also my car which has one of my church's magnets and fish on the back along with a window decal for the local Christian radio station. I need to be courteous in my driving behavior also since it too is a reflection of my Lord and Savior

Larie Carlice Proverbs 27:19 said...

I love the way you wrote this. It seems very honest and not fluffy!

smooches,
Larie

Miss Charlene said...

Great post! No worries, you're not alone in losing that part of how we used to maintain our appearance SO much back then. I was like that, but now I'm more.. frumpy. *wah* but this was a good reminder to make an effort.. inside and out!! :)

Wisdom for Today said...

Great post. I have also been blogging on modesty this week, I guess we're on the same page....I like the idea of first dressing with the Lord, very nice:) God Bless you, stay encouraged, and keep writing!

Luv the blog,
Elizabeth