Use that razor, girl!

I wrote this devotion for Laced with Grace last week, but just HAD to share it with you here as well!

OK….it is full-fledged shorts weather here in Iowa. Time to break out that razor and give those winter legs a good shave.

As I was tackling those last stubborn hairs that just don’t seem to want to get OFF, I thought about how God’s Word compares itself to the sharpest razor.

“For the Word of God is full of living power. It is sharper than the sharpest knife, cutting deep into our innermost thoughts and desires. It exposes us for what we really are. Nothing in all creation can hide from Him. Everything is naked and exposed before His eyes.” Hebrews 4:12-13 NLT

Have you ever tried to shave with a dull razor?

I don’t know about you, but my legs tend to end up looking like this. Not a pretty picture.

My razor HAS to be sharp to effectively shave my body WITHOUT leaving little cuts and wounds. God’s Word has to be sharp to effectively reach those areas that we tend to hide away…..pretending they don’t exist…..hiding from the truth. The NIV puts it this way, “For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.”

It gets in there! “Dividing between joints and marrow.” No hiding from His Word. It penetrates our very being. It searches our motives and intentions.

Why?

It has power to CHANGE us.

It refines us.

Grows us.

Frees us.

Softens us.

Convicts us.

Encourages us.

God’s Word is ALIVE and ACTIVE and WORKS within us!

And, I have found that it is ONLY His Word that cuts cleanly without cutting me. When I try to follow MY word or the WORLD’S words, I find myself with a cut-up spirit, full of band-aids. Kind of like using a dull razor.

Lord, thank You for Your Word that PENETRATES deep within me. Thank You that even when I try to hide from you (and myself), Your Word gets right in where it needs to go. Give me a spirit of wisdom and revelation so that I might know You better and open the eyes of my understanding to fully comprehend what You are teaching me. Lord, I believe that Your Word is ALIVE and ACTIVE in me! Thank You, Lord! In Jesus’ Name we pray. AMEN!


2 thoughts shared....:

Unknown said...

WONDERFUL analogy, Tracy. I was blessed to read this post today. The word of God IS alive! Everything you said was so on point for me today, so thank you for being a willing vessel the Lord can use to bless me with! I also wanted to thank you for your loving words on my blog. You left me such a personal comment, and it touched my heart to receive it. Please know I very much appreciate your blog, and I enjoy reading everything you post on here. YOU are a blessing to me! Lots of love to you : )

The Howell Blessings said...

Amen and Amen! As painful as it seems when we go through something, it would be much worse if God didn't love us enough to be precise and to the point. But that is what I long for, to become holy. I get so aggravated at myself so often because He is pointing out my shortcomings and I don't like what I see! But without that, I would be horribly selfish and rude, and I do NOT want to be like that. Thanks for the great posting! Mindy

I just entered a new blog on my other blog site. Check it out if you're so inclined.
http://howellblessings.blogspot.com/