We are the Body

If We Are the Body...

Please join me each Monday At the Well for a new Bible Study called "We are the Body". This is being led by my friend, Gina. I am excited to be learning and growing together!

Gina writes this week:

Do you daily study your “reflection” to see if you have “something in your teeth?”

What kind of accountability of believers do you have in your life right now?

This week I would encourage you to take some time to pray and evaluate your life. Spend time in prayer and in the Word and asking God to show you what you need to see. Grab a journal or just a plain notebook and write down your thoughts and prayers. Ask a couple of people who know you well, and who you know will be honest, to take some time to make a list of things that you need to work on. Record these things in your notebook. Then, take the list and bathe it in prayer. It may hurt some, but it will ultimately help you and set you down the path towards holiness.

As you go through this I would like to challenge you to pray about what you are called to and who God would have you reach out to serve and encourage.

Here is an excerpt I have written about MY spiritual mentor/accountability partner, my "spiritual mama", Donna:

Donna is "especially special" to me for so many reasons- she will be truthful with me, not just "tickle my ears," she will grieve with me when I am sad, she makes me laugh, she is so wise, and she is a kind, loving, and caring person. She is a grandma, so she has experienced more life than I have, and she is willing to share her successes and failures, especially in parenting.

Donna is my Spiritual Mom, a true Titus 2 woman. My own dear mom loves God and prays about everything, trusts God, and has a simple faith. But, she doesn't know the Word. She doesn't read the Word. Donna, on the other hand, KNOWS the Word and studies the Word daily, and LOVES the Word.

So, when I need advice, I often ask Donna, instead of my mom, because Donna will give me Godly advice, based on the Word and then we always pray about it! She is so wise! But again, it is Godly wisdom. Truly, much of her advice is "foolishness to the world." Forgive that person???? How could I???? Because in His Word He tells us to and that it will bring His blessing. Be joyful in this situation? It will bring peace. Feeling not at peace about something, then, should you be doing it? The "world" would definitely give me different advice than Donna gives me!

Oh, how thankful I am for my dear friend and mentor. A mentor isn't some distinguished professor, but just someone who is a little "further down the road" than you are. Actually, Lisa Bevere says we DON'T want mentors- we want "mamas." A mentor teaches you what they know, not necessarily wanting you to do better than THEM, so they may hold back a little. (Think of the business world. Would a person want their "underling" to excel?) But, a Mama wants her children not only to do AS WELL as her, but BETTER than her. She wants her children to soar to greater heights than she did. This is Donna- she wants even more for me- especially spiritually.

Do you need a "mama"? Look around. There are many in blogland. I am sure there are many at your church. Be bold- ask a woman to "mama" you. Pray and ask God to bring you one.

Be a "mama". There is always someone who hasn't come as far as you yet. Build relationships. Help one another. Be an example.

"Teach the older women to be reverent in the way they should
live.... and teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to
love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at
home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will
malign the word of God."- Titus 2:3-5

Father, thank you for blessing us with friendships. God, you made us as relational beings to crave companionship, friendship, and fellowship with one another. Thank you, Jehovah Jireh, "The Lord Who Provides" for providing us with mothers and "mamas." Thank you, precious God for caring about us so much that you give us friends, and thank you, Jesus, that you call ME friend! Lord, help me to be a "mama" to those you place in my path. Help me to see when you do. Help me to NOT be so busy that I miss it! Also, Lord, help me to be bold when I need a mama to ask someone. Lord, you are so good, so good. In the Savior's precious Name, the Name above all names, Jesus Christ, I pray. Amen.

I hope you will join us on Mondays to discuss how we can be "The BODY" together!

3 thoughts shared....:

Ashley Wells said...

It is so wonderful to have people in our life that will help us on our journey of sanctification!

Thanks for sharing today about your "mama."

Melissa said...

Great post! I don't have a spiritual "mama," but I do have godly friends to whom I can turn. It's such a blessing to have that source of real wisdom, rather than what the world teaches us.

*Nikki* said...

great post!