Oprah


Well, I have tried to avoid writing this, but it keeps nagging at me. So, Father, I will obey your leading, write what you have revealed, and be done with it! I know then I will be at peace with it. Father, before I begin, I pray you will give me just the right words and that readers will be open to what I am going to say. Father, I pray for a spirit of wisdom and revelation so that we may know you better. Father, I thank you that you say you give wisdom to anyone who asks and that you give it generously. Praise you! I pray for wisdom for me and my readers. I also pray for your protection as I step out in boldness for you.

First, I want to say that I think Oprah is a kind, generous woman who loves people and has a genuine desire to help them! I usually don't choose to blog about people, and especially with any negative commentary (there are plenty of blogs out there for that!). I usually don't watch Oprah, not because I don't like her, but because I tend to spend my time in other ways. But, when I was flipping channels looking for weather closings last Wednesday, what I saw sent chills down my spine.

OK, again, I don't know much about the guests who appeared on the show- never read their books or researched them. What I am writing about is what I saw on the show. The main guest was a woman who wrote "The Secret," Rhonda Byrne. The blurb about her book on Amazon.com says. "Supporters will hail this New Age self-help book on the law of attraction as a groundbreaking and life-changing work, finding validation in its thesis that one's positive thoughts are powerful magnets that attract wealth, health, happiness... and did we mention wealth? Detractors will be appalled by this as well as when the book argues that fleeting negative thoughts are powerful enough to create terminal illness, poverty and even widespread disasters." The other guests, too, talked about "the law of attraction." There were many testimonies of women who have followed these "techniques" and how it has changed their lives.

Watching the program, it sounded great! All of the speakers, including Oprah, talked about how the power of positive thinking and how the law of attraction can transform your life, bringing everything your heart desires- success, a spouse, and wealth. And, much of what I heard was "biblical"- I could have quoted Truth for the same principles- sowing and reaping, the power of life and death being in the tongue, the need to forgive........ I have heard Joyce Meyer say many of the same principles. I even liked the idea of a "vision board," and decided to make one. So why did I get a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach? Why did red flags go up all through the show? Why was I left feeling so anxious about this?

What is wrong with it???? The bible talks much about in later days that there will be many "false teachers" and that what they say will sound good. They will "tickle our ears." And, there will be just enough Truth in what they say to "fool" us. One of the verses that hit me the first time I read it is from 2Timothy 3, which talks about Godlessness in the last days. Paul tells us that people will be "lovers of self and utterly self-centered, lovers of money and aroused by a desire for wealth, proud and arrogant....they will be lovers of sensual pleasures (this doesn't have to mean sex- could be food, material possessions, etc) and vain amusements MORE THAN and rather than lovers of God.........(THIS IS BIG) they hold a FORM of piety- true religion(so it will sound like Christianity in some ways).......they worm their way into homes and captivate silly and weak-willed and spiritually dwarfed women, loaded down with the burden of their sins and easlily swayed and led away by various evil desires and seductive impulses. These weak women will listen to anybody who will teach them; these women are forever inquiring and getting information (boy, it sounds like the Oprah show to me!), but are never able to arrive at a recognition and knowledge of the Truth." There we go! When we fill ourselves with a counterfeit Christianity, with just enough of the Truth in it to sound good, we are trading our True God for a false god. We are picking and choosing what we like about the Truth and adding some New Age philospophy to really juice ourselves up! Remember that the Word tells us that Satan masquerades as "an angel of light." These other religions will sound like Christianity, but beware! There is only ONE TRUE GOD!

This "religion" credits the "universe" for making all of our dreams come true. Here are some quotes from the show: "the universe gives us ideas." There was much talk about science and science in relation to our "spiritual journey." (What "spirit" is this?) The universe will "make all of your dreams come true" quoted by a little girl who looked to be about 5 or 6 years old. We need to "change the energy" of our situations. At one point I was hopeful because they talked about unforgiveness and how NOT forgiving can cause negative things- sickness, anxiety, etc. But, then they "explained" forgiveness as "separating yourself from the behavior- let it go." That is not what Jesus said about forgiveness. He said to forgive others as He has forgiven us. Jesus calls us to pray for our enemies, to bless them! So, when we mix thinking like this with our Christian values, it is no longer Jesus Christ we worship and follow, but our own form of religion.

Do I know the Truth? I think the biggest problem with this is that, today we are NOT versed in God's Word! We don't know enough of the Truth to distinquish a lie. We aren't proficient enough in what God says to run away from counterfeit religions as fast as we can! Unfortunately, Sisters, we know more about what Oprah says on a subject, either from her TV show or magazine that what God says! We need to turn off the TV and open His Word!

Sisters, how my heart breaks. As Christians, we should have the "something" that the world wants so that they wouldn't want to look anywhere else but to Jesus! We should be offering such hope, love, and freedom! We should be empowered! Only Jesus "makes our dreams come true." Only Jesus is our Healer, our Provider, our hope! Here's the thing- our Father wants to bless the work of our hands- He wants to provide good things for us. Jesus came to give us abundant life! We should be such Light to the World, shouting out "Jesus" with our attitude, our love, our freedom, our joy! We should not be looking to another "answer" but to THE ANSWER!

"Do not be conformed to the patterns of this world (in other words, do NOT look to Oprah for deliverance), but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." If you want transformation in your life, don't follow the ways of the world, but renew your mind. The only way to renew your mind is to fill it with the TRUTH.

Finally, in the words of Casting Crowns, "What if the life that we pursue came from a hunger for the Truth; what if the family turned to Jesus- stopped asking Oprah what to do."

And, please remember that our Abba Father, our loving Provider will "give us the desires of our heart" when we seek Him!
Please check out my friend, Terri's post on this subject. Here is the link:
http://riobello.typepad.com/adventures/2007/04/ashes.html


Father, forgive us for looking to the world to give us the answers we want. Forgive us for not hungering for your Truth. Forgive us, as a Church for not representing Jesus as the only True God, the only True Hope. Father, I cry out for your church! I do not want to be a weak willed woman swayed by popular thinking! I want to follow you alone! Help our Church. Help these desparate people find you, Jesus Christ. In the Name above all Names, Jesus Christ I pray. Amen

15 thoughts shared....:

Chelle said...

I didn't watch that show solely based on what was being talked about. it's INSANE! There are so many who know the Word, and know just how to "tweak" it to work for them. Scary. In fact, we're warned about that (as you mentioned). Love the line from the Casting Crowns song too, oh so true. It is scary that people will run to things so easily before seeking REAL truth. Great post.

Anonymous said...

I went to business conference nearly 1 1/2 years ago where this book was recommended from the main stage SEVERAL times. I couldn't wait to get home and order the DVD. It came in the mail and I immediately put it in. I felt chills the entire time I watched it. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I knew in my spirit that the DVD needed to go. . .the next day I returned it to the company. What shocked me the most is that many of the people recommending this book at the conference were believers (and I trusted their recommendation to read/watch it). Not good - but because it sounds "biblical" many are deceived. And now it has Oprah's stamp of approval which means even more will be led astray. KEEP PRAYING!

Speaking Thru Me Ministries said...

yes oh yes girl - i have heard all about this and am just disgusted as you are. this is so sad, but also a sign of the times, the end times!! for that we have to be a bit exicted from a selfish point of view - we shall see him face to face sooner than later!!

thank you for standing strong!!

Love, Leigh

Anonymous said...

What wisdom and insight you have been given. I caught bits and pieces of the show and found myself being sucked in. I am so glad you posted this blog to throw cold water on my face and wake me up again to the truth. It is easy to hear and agree with the parts that reinforce our faith but not pay attention to the part that leads us away. (a sure sign Satan is at work). What I find REALLY scary is that Oprah is beginning a new series online where she will be TEACHING a new philosophy based on a new book called "The New Earth" based on a lot of these very things she presented in this show. I can't thank you enough for revealing the truth and reminding us to be watchful and not be lulled and led away. You really are the best.

Tracy Berta-daughter to the King, wife, mother, speaker, writer said...

Girls, thank you so much for your comments. Stand strong, sisters! Thank God He has given us Truth!

Bless you all!

Susan Skitt said...

Tracy, good post. We can easily be swayed, even as Christians into a worldly mindset. So good to see those "red flags" went up! I've had similar experiences with those "red flags." In fact, I've prayed for God to send them!

Praise God! When we read His Word, the Holy Spirit will bring to light what is darkness, speaking to our spirit, reminding us, teaching us. How wonderful that we have the Lord Himself to be our guide.

Much love,
Susan

Unknown said...

Tracey,

You are spot on about Ophrah, the book and about the weak-minded women. I attended a Deeper Still Conference where this book was directly addressed by Beth Moore, Patricia Shrier and Kay Arthur.

This book is the power of positive thinking repackaged for this generation. It is New Age and speaks that WE are God. We control what happens to us. What I cannot fathom is how it explains young innocent children who are sexually abused and other things. It is complete stupidity.

Glad you are bold to speak about this book. I think that Terri at In His Hands posted about this last summer and received a ton of email about it. It would be interesting for you to connect with her. Also, the enemy doesn't like this exposure so pray hard for protection.

Love you!

Amico Dio said...

Well said, Tracy!

You are an awesome woman of God. Thanks for posting this!

Dineen A. Miller said...

Hi Tracey,
Thanks for this post. Oprah also believes there are many ways to God and heaven so I'm not surprised she would promote this. What's so unfortunate is that she means well and is well respected by worldly standards, yet she is misleading so many.

Lately I've picked some references to things supposedly said in the Bible that I recognized as either twisted in meaning or completely misquoted. And that was only because I knew God's Word—his truth. You are dead on there. We need to know the truth. :-)

Anonymous said...

I just had a friend over on Friday who was in my Wed. night BS-who shared this book with me. We had coffee at my table as she read from this book and all the good stuff in it. She is no longer in my BS or reading the WORD. She is feeling like she is getting strength from this book-Thinking that the POWER from the universe is from GOD and trying to find the ideas in the book as BIBLICAL. She was trying to tell me how I should go get this book-I didn’t feel comfortable doing that and just felt very uneasy about what she was reading and tried to encourage her to look at some of my JOYCE Meyer books that I had that had the same idea, more scripture based….



Yes, this book is getting lots of reviews for those seeking POWER from other sources than GOD!

Kathy

Tracy Berta-daughter to the King, wife, mother, speaker, writer said...

Susan Kelly Skitt,
Thanks for your comment! Thank God for "red flags"- the Holy Spirit who leads us, guides, warns us, directs our steps!

Blessings!
Tracy


Lynn,
Thanks for stopping by! I had NO IDEA this movement existed and has become so "powerful." Thanks for letting me know about Terri. I am going to connect with her. I believe God has called us to be bold about this because so many women are being "sucked in" (the words of unaware friend of mine).

Thank God that He that is in me is greater than He that is in the world!

Blessings,
Tracy

Amy,
Thanks for coming by and checking this out! Thanks too for linking my blog to your info. I believe the more people we can tell about this, the better!

Blessings,
Tracy

Thanks,
Dineen! What a great idea to keep a reference of Truth vs. lies!

Blessings!
Tracy

Anonymous said...

i had the same flags about that book...sounds a lot like self worship, and all the while allowing you to think you are not..one word for it..deception. Thanks for blogging this. Princess to Princess, darla

http://4evrhis.wordpress.com

Tracy Berta-daughter to the King, wife, mother, speaker, writer said...

Darla, so glad you stopped by! Deception is exactly it- all the more important we know the Truth!

Blessings, Princess!

Terri | Sugar Free Glow said...

I'm SO blessed to connect with you! Here is the url to my post and Lynn is right, put on your armor!
http://riobello.typepad.com/adventures/2007/04/ashes.html

We *do* have a lot in common! Thank you so much for your emails, they truly blessed me and I found great encouragement from them. I look forward to getting to know you better!

Unknown said...

Hi Tracey,

I can't remember how I found your site. I wanted to let you know that I totally agree with your assessment of Oprah and this book. I'm curious, what is your take on Joel Osteen?