"Bah hum bug" and middle fingers.........

Greetings!

Well, it is "officially" the end of the "Christmas season"- the gift-giving, commercial part of our holiday. (Hopefully, you are excited that the the CHRIST part of Christmas lasts all through the year!) As we finished our last visit with out of town family last weekend, I talked with my sister and her husband about a new trend we found this shopping season. No, it wasn't the sales. No, it wasn't the hottest gift of the season. We talked about a surprising "Christmas spirit" we both experienced this year- for the first time. Now, my sister and I live in different states, so I am wondering if it is a national trend. Are you wondering by now this new Christmas "tradition"?We both either experienced or witnessed SEVERAL times people sticking up their middle finger to other people!

Now the first time it happened, I could hardly believe my eyes! A young driver, apparently unhappy with my driving skills, looked right at me through her windshield and "flipped me off" (that's what we called it in high school!). That was the first time of this shopping season, but my husband, Brian, soon experienced being "flipped off" himself. And, we counted at least 4 times we witnessed shoppers doing the same to one another in the Target parking lot. We even saw one young man roll down his window and scream "F--- you, lady!" Walking through Sears, tire shopping after Christmas, Brian and I were shocked by two teenage boys walking not a foot behind us, using every swear word imaginable, including the "F" word. I never dreamed shopping would be an "R" rated experience!


So, imagine my surprise when my sister and her husband experienced the same thing! And, we all agreed that times have changed. We NEVER would have considered using such foul language in public, and certainly NEVER to a person older than us. I don't remember sticking my middle finger up at someone. I can't even fathom looking someone in the eye and doing it!

So, what is going on?????? Is it a lack of respect? Is it that kids see it on TV and think it is normal? Hasn't anyone told them it is wrong? Am I getting old? Is there just a wearing away of human decency and treating others, including strangers with courtesy?

I would love to get some conversations going on about this! Please comment your ideas and email to friends to comment. Also, have you had similar experiences (or hopefully NOT)???


Father, I can't leave the blog without leaving it with you. Please forgive us, Lord. How it must hurt you when we treat others so badly. I hate when someone is mean to my children. How your heart must break that we are treating your children, made in your image, with such disrespect. Help us to love one another. And, help us, as Christ followers, your representatives here on earth to love others. In Jesus' Name we pray. Amen.

4 thoughts shared....:

Chelle said...

Great point, and oh so true...sadly. I think people are too exposed to everything thanks to media. Typically, we are accustomed to it all and nothing is shocking anymore because we are bombarded with it everyday. The movement of "political correctness" and such has left society in a grey area with no solid line between right and wrong. It's sad. That, and some parents use the same language, so the kids are just following the examples they have. I pray for a day when things shock us again, when things rub us the wrong way, and *gasp* we even get offended.

Tracy Berta-daughter to the King, wife, mother, speaker, writer said...

LOL! I agree about the media. And, as I watch TV and see "role models" like Brittany Spears, I begin to wonder if she is more like mainstream American than I would like to imagine......

I am agreeing with you in prayer, my sister, that we will again return to higher moral standard where we ARE shocked by such bad behavior. Blessings!

Speaking Thru Me Ministries said...

Oh yes, the lack of respect is rampant. I think it all stems back to the loss of respect for the fmaily and most importantly the dad!!!! we don't love our dads any longer...

let's pray for our kids!!!

love you dear!

Tracy Berta-daughter to the King, wife, mother, speaker, writer said...

Hey girl! I agree with your comment on lack of respect for family and fathers.... (Homer Simpson anyone??) I also agree with prayer for our kids!

Father, we do come to you, asking for your help! Help us as mothers to teach our childen respect. This is a commandment- "Honor your fathe and mother...." We need you, God!