Don’t Waste Your Life


2012 seemed to pass by so quickly and another new year is just beginning. I have found, if I am not careful, I can allow time to slip by too quickly, and when I look back, I am disappointed, feeling like I have wasted this precious time!

Have you made New Year’s Resolutions yet?

Sometimes I make Resolutions with the best intentions, but all too quickly they are forgotten.

Resolutions seem to be important to all of us. As I have talked to women, a common desire has resonated- to find out and fulfill her "purpose". Nobody wants her life to be a waste! Most people want to leave a fingerprint on the world, to make a difference, to have an impact on others’ lives. We want to our lives to be special.

Have you ever wondered what God wants to do with YOUR life? What His purpose is for your life?

Does He have a plan?


Yes, God does have a plan for our lives!
Jeremiah 29:11 says, “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord.
“Plans for hope and a future. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you.”
So, how do I live out these plans, WITHOUT wasting precious time?
Paul writes in Ephesians, “Be careful how you live, not as fools but as those who are wise. Make the most of every opportunity for doing good in these evil days. Don’t act thoughtlessly, but try to understand what the Lord wants you to do.”

PAUL IS TALKING ABOUT BEING DELIBERATE AT LIVING OUR LIVES- PAYING ATTENTION, ON PURPOSE KIND OF LIVING.

Be careful how you live. Here, the Greek literally means, “don’t stumble through life.” Do you ever find yourself “stumbling through life?” Does life ever seem to fly by so quickly that you find yourself saying, like me, “Where did 2012 go?!”

I saw a billboard once that said, Time flies, but you are the pilot.” I loved that. That is what Paul is saying here. You are the pilot, and fly carefully! “Be careful how you live … and try to understand what the Lord wants you to do.”

Do you know what the Lord wants you to do?

Have you ever thought about it? Maybe you’re thinking, “I didn’t know the Lord wanted me to do anything!”

What is the first thing God wants us to do? He wants us to hunger for Him! More than service or obedience, or anything, God wants us to seek after Him in an intimate, real, living, breathing relationship with Him. Jesus said the greatest commandment was "to love the Lord your God with all of your heart, all of your soul, all of your mind, and all of your strength. Then, love your neighbor as yourself.”

You see, sometimes we get confused and we have a religion, but we don’t have a relationship with the One who so desires us.

“What else does God want from MY life?”

Jesus wants a relationship with Him, AND He wants us to make HIM our FIRST passion. God wants our wholehearted devotion, and He wants our whole life. Our whole life, not just part of it, not jut on Sunday mornings, ALL of it!

Romans 6:13 says, “Give yourselves completely to God since you have been given new life. And use your WHOLE BODY as a tool to do what is right for the glory of God.”
Give ourselves completely, completely to God- every part of our lives in total surrender to Him.


So often, we only allow God into the “spiritual” part of our lives. We go to church on Sundays. We have our “quiet times.” We even are reading through the Bible. But, God wants so much more than that- He wants it all- my whole life. Not just the areas that I think are “OK” to give to Him, the “churchy things, GOING TO CHURCH, GOING TO LADIES BIBLE STUDY, RETREATS, SERVING IN THE CHURCH, NOT JUST THOSE THINGS, but every area, my marriage, my relationship with my kids, my home, my friends, my work, my free time. He wants every thought, every decision, every choice to be surrendered to Him, totally making Him Lord of my life!


So, for me, this year, 2013, I purpose to NOT waste my life! I intend to slow down and make God my first priority. I want to get lost in my relationship with Him. I want to spend time at His feet, filling up on Him. I want to give Him everything....

5 thoughts shared....:

LauraLee Shaw said...

This is great, Tracy! Love it!

Do you ever find yourself “stumbling through life?” Does life ever seem to fly by so quickly that you find yourself saying, like me, “Where did 2008 go?!”

As a creative, artsy-pop-tartsy type, yes, I stumble through life A TON! This was a great challenge for me!

Joyfull said...

Amen! Loved reading this post and being encouraged to not waste, but make my life count by a deliberate choosing to make God the priority.

Laurie Ann said...

Serving God in every area of our lives always leaves us wanting more for Him, if it's Him we're aiming to please and not others. I love how you speak of not wasting your life, slowing down and making God your first priority. I, too, want to spend time at His feet, filling up on Him...I'm purposing to do this through prayer and the reading of His Word... Great post, Tracy!

Edie said...

Absolutely Tracy. From now on and always, growing deeper and deeper in love with Him. This was great. :)

Peggy said...

Blessings Tracy...and Happy New Year!!! This is GREAT! My favorite book giving me PURPOSE besides the wisdom of God's WORD...plus the perfect verse for the year 2009!

How true & inspiring your words!
My purpose is to LIVE in UNION with
God as I surrender all those areas also! Great gems of wisdom! Thanks!
2009 will be DIVINE!