A Strange Place....

I recently shared this at the Cafe.....thought you may enjoy it as well.

I recently looked out my window and saw the strangest sight. Now for the outsider looking in, I am sure they would not even noticed it. For many, it would not have been in the least bit unusual. But, for us, it was a strange sight. In fact, it was worthy of calling the whole family around to stare out the window in disbelief!

Are you wondering what this amazing sight could have been?

It was a large white and gray colored CAT prowling around the INSIDE of our eight foot privacy fence!

What could be strange about a cat wandering around our yard, you wonder?

Well, we don’t OWN a cat! In fact, we own a LARGE dog who absolutely was going crazy at the thought of an intruding feline invading his space!

Our yard was NOT this cat’s home. In fact, this yard could have been very dangerous to the animal if we would have allowed our dog to have his way and let him outside. But, watching the cat, you would have never known that. He seemed completely comfortable roaming around this strange yard. In fact, he LOOKED like he “owned the place.” Our yard, to any passerby, appeared to be his home.

But, it’s not.

I thought about how I can so easily forget where my home is as well.

I make the mistake and believe this world is my home, strolling through, completely comfortable, as if I “own the place.”

“Friends, this world is not your home, so don’t make yourselves cozy in it. Don’t indulge your ego at the expense of your soul.” 1Peter 2:11, The Message


Many times I walk around “too cozy” or too comfortable in THIS world, accepting things that are not glorifying to God. Sometimes I have been distracted and deceived, led astray by my longings for the “worldly” things my flesh desires. Other times, I seek the approval of the world, instead of God. And, there are times when I mosey along in this world, not even aware of the danger, like the cat in my yard. Oh, how I want to remember at these times that THIS WORLD IS NOT MY HOME!

The NIV translation puts it this way:

“Dear friends, I urge you, as strangers and aliens in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul.”


Lord, help me to remember this world is NOT my home. Help me to remember that You have set me apart from “the world.” Lord, help me to never be “cozy” here, but to keep my eyes and heart to be set on “things above.” Thank You, Jesus for Your forgiveness and Your Power to live this way! In Jesus’ Name I pray. Amen.

3 thoughts shared....:

Nel said...

What a wonderful post! We can get caught up in the world if we are not careful. Thanks for sharing what was on your heart. Enjoyed it!
until next time... nel

Debbie Petras said...

As I've gone through this season of trials and challenges, I am constantly reminded that this isn't my home; I'm just passing through. In the meantime, I pray that I would be alert to the Divine appointments the Lord has for me each day in my temporary home.

I've been missing you lately and pray about your father-in-law's recovery.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

Jacqueline said...

Thanks for sharing this! I needed that. I am a singer-songwriter and just wrote a song called WHERE DO I BELONG? Kinda talking about this.