I’m thankful for….. (through a child’s eyes)

I recently wrote a post about approaching God with thanksgiving and counting our blessings. Please see http://tracyberta.blogspot.com/2007/11/thanksgiving.html. God is working in my spirit about this attitude of gratitude and entering His gates with thanksgiving.

It is always so interesting to ask our children what they are thankful for. Sometimes you may think they will answer by naming their toys or possessions. Usually, though, the first thing kids name is their family or parents. Aaron, only four years old, named his family, friends, God, trees, his buddy Zach (which is different from his list of friends because Zach is his imaginary friend), and toys only after I prompted him. We were talking about this on the way to preschool, and as I pondered it on the way home, I wondered how we, as adults sometimes get sidetracked about our blessings. How we lose the simplicity of faith. Jesus said, “I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 18:3-4)

When counting our blessings, would we name our “toys” first? Should there be relationships we are thankful for, but can’t name because we have let that relationship go? Friends or family that we need to forgive or ask forgiveness from to repair that relationship? Or is there someone we need to spend time with more, nurturing that relationship? Would trees even be on our thanksgiving list?

Lord, although I want to grow in my faith, becoming mature (Hebrew, James); I want to remain simple and humble. I don’t want to be so busy that I forget to appreciate your blessings of sunrise, trees, a child’s smile… I don’t want to be sidetracked by things of the world, that distract me from You.


Lord, may we always be thankful first for You, our family and friends, relationships, then all of the wonderful blessings You have given us! I love You, Jesus!

1 thoughts shared....:

Chelle said...

I think kids can often be the best teachers on faith. :)