Who Is Jesus? I AM Part 6


I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in Me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in Me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in Me and My words remain in You, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father’s glory that you bear much fruit, showing yourself to be My disciples. John 15:5-8

I am the VINE.

Have you ever thought about this verse? Have you wondered what Jesus meant when He said He was a vine? I love that God’s Word gives us examples from our daily lives that help teach spiritual Truth. When we ponder and visualize the verses, asking God for a spirit of wisdom and understanding, the scriptures come alive, truly teaching us!

What happens when a branch is separated from its vine...its source of life?

When the kids were little, we took our Christmas tree out to the curb, and they wondered why we didn’t just plant the beautiful tree in the back yard. I explained that although the tree still looked green and pretty, it was dead. It had been cut away from “the vine”- or it’s roots- where it gets its nutrients. I explained that the tree wouldn’t grow anymore, no matter how rich the soil was. It was only good to be “picked up, thrown into the fire and burned,” or in our case, picked up by the recycling truck and mulched.

The tree needs to remain in the vine to have life.

We need to remain in our Vine (Jesus) to have life. If we are abiding in an intimate relationship with Him, we will bear much fruit. To be fruitful, flowering, vibrant, ALIVE, we must be connected to the Source of Life….Jesus. We must be drawing on Him to sustain us, to nourish us, to make us flourish.

When we don’t, we will wither.

I can’t rely on myself. I can’t do things in “Tracy strength.” I must depend on Him. I must abide in Him.

When I don’t, I wither.

I received a beautiful bouquet of flowers for my birthday once that were gorgeous. But, they weren’t connected to the vine. They were cut away. And, still they remained vibrant, lovely, pleasing…..

Not one week.

Not two weeks.

Not three weeks.

SIX weeks they remained gorgeous.

But, eventually, they withered. Eventually they died. I had to throw them away.

Our relationship with Jesus is the same way. When I don’t remain in Him, when I don’t seek after Him with all my heart, when I am depending on myself instead of Him, when my RELATIONSHIP with Him is not healthy, I will wither.

Like the flowers, I may stay beautiful for a while. I may be “OK” for a week….or six weeks….or a year. But, eventually, I will wither. Jesus said in verse 4, “No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine.” I can’t bear fruit on my own. I must stay connected to Him.

He is my source.

Isn't it amazing that Jesus comforts His disciples right before He goes to the cross, telling them to remain in Him....to allow His Word to remain in them. They are in an olive grove, with vines and branches all around. Jesus points to the branches and the vines and tells them, that HE is the VINE and THEY are the BRANCHES. He then tells when they remain in Him, they will bear much fruit.

Lord, help me to always turn to You as my Source. I want to remain, abide, flow in You and I know then that Your Life flows into me, allowing me to bear fruit. I know when I am disconnected from You I wither. Fill my heart with desire for You, O God!


This is a series I first posted April, 2008. I am re-posting it in honor of Easter. For the first 5 parts, please scroll down...

18 thoughts shared....:

Denise said...

Precious my friend, precious.

Beth in NC said...

I am so glad you mentioned the temporary beauty that can be sustained for a season! I was going to say that our Christmas trees seem to stay green FOREVER! We sell trees, and even now, I can find sprigs of Frazier Fir branches lying around - STILL GREEN!!! But just as you said -- dead, no life, no growth!

We may seem "ok" for a season without the Lord, but it is temporary.

Great post Tracy.

Peggy said...

Blessings Tracy,

This is one of my favorite verses come to life! Such great imagery!

I am just loving your series on who Jesus is!!! This is perfect for #7!

I'm been wanting to do a post on THE VINE & this exact part of scripture because of a life lesson with a plant here in Mexico called "Copa de Oro". It seemed daily that God was giving me REAL life stories through this plant since I planted it so I could have flowers.

You have put together these lessons so well!

I could not believe how long your flowers lasted!!!

Let us be firmly rooted, built up & established in our faith and overflowing with gratitude.

I know I am thankful for you & all you share from the "Makeover of the Heart" to these on Jesus. I ma so glad that we both are connected to the same Vine & the Vinedresser. As we abide in Him, He abides in us!

Just as Jesus is ALIVE, we too are alive in Christ Jesus as long as we remain connected.

I'm so thankful that Jesus is:
my Bread of Life, my Light of the world, my Way, my only Gate, my Good Shepherd & the Resurrection. In this we have our VICTORY & TRIUMPH over sin & death!

Amen...and thank You Lord for Tracy's heart & beautiful prayer so that we will not wither but thrive as we cling to the Vine and each other for nourishment in Your Word!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant idea and it is duly

Peggy said...

Blessings Tracy!!! I still love this beautiful WORD and ditto to all I said before! I should have recalled this and linked to here last Friday on my Freedom in Christ because it was this verse and I used Heartlight's graphic but I love yours much better! And your words are inspirational! Thanks for sharing this again! EnJOY a wonderful WFW!

Mylene said...

Very true- we cannot live away from from our source of life, Jesus!

life's journey said...

Pretty verse for the day. Happy WFW! Mine is up.

ozjane said...

Amen and amen.
Very clever work with your writing on the photo.

SnoWhite said...

Two weeks ago we just talked about this verse in church -- very timely.

Thanks :)

Susan said...

Tracy,

This word was on TIME, powerful!!

I want to abide in HIM, always...


Thanks so much for joining us today.


Have a blessed day!!

Michele said...

What a great verse!!! I love it. Happy WFW!

Anonymous said...

What a great pic. I love this.

Unknown said...

Hi,
I am visiting from WFW....
I love that verse and pic....

HOW did you DO that??

I am new to all this WFW and my posts are like Kindergarden while yours is college! My son still helps me each week!

If you have time to offer help..
I'm at http://ParentingTwinsandMore.com

lori said...

Oh dear, dear, dear!
I LOVE this...you know I have a handmade ceramic cross that hangs in the mirror of my van with the word.."ABIDE" you wouldn't believe how many people ask, "What does that really mean?"

We will only stay 'beautiful' for awhile unless we truly 'abide...' This was great, and I have to email you about linking your Makeover of the Heart to the Cafe. We want to offer a Bible Study Resource page and we want to put your study in there....I'm not sure how to do it yet...but let me know if you are a yes on that!!

Love you!
lori

LeAnn said...

This is such a grand day as I am finding all of my favorite verse. Love this verse, and you did an excellent job explaining it!

Mary said...

Amen Tracy - the only way we can bear fruit is to stay connected to Him...daily...moment to moment. Thanks for sharing. Blessings.

Kaye Swain said...

These inspiring BIble verses were some of the "building blocks" God used to teach me about surrendered abiding in Christ. Thank you for the WFW encouragement! :)

Cathy said...

Love your picture and verse ~ Blessings ~