Thankful Thursday



Oh, I am so thankful for the first signs of Spring! The weather is warmer, the snow is finally beginning to melt, revealing the patches of green underneath, and I even saw a very determined flower poking through the snow (maybe a daffodil? Just the greenery had made its way through). The sweet sparrows are fluttering, and I saw two morning doves nibbling at the bread we had put out. I know it won't be long until I am awakened each morning to their sweet song. Ah, spring is in the air! When I take deep breaths outside, I can even smell the crispness, the cleaness. I am so thankful for Spring.

This Spring I am especially thankful because the winter was long. We had record snow falls, debilitating ice storms, and very cold temperatures. I love that God can show us how wonderful Spring is by the trials of the winter. Would I have appreciated this Spring if it were not for such a hard winter? Now, I am looking forward to Spring with eager expectation......hope. I have experienced the death of winter and now long for the new Life of Spring. Oh, how good God is. Easter can only be in this season of Life. When we experience Christ's resurrection from the darkness of death, our eyes, nose, ears- all of our senses experience the same thing happening in nature. We see things "spring to life" after a long, cold, bleak season of death. There is a time for winter. There is a time for Spring.


"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and time to refrain,
a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.



I am thankful for Spring because it a season of Life, and I am thankful for the Life that brings Spring.


A Prayer in Spring
Robert Frost (1915)
Oh, give us pleasure in the flowers to-day;
And give us not to think so far away
As the uncertain harvest; keep us here
All simply in the springing of the year.
Oh, give us pleasure in the orchard white,
Like nothing else by day, like ghosts by night;
And make us happy in the happy bees,
The swarm dilating round the perfect trees.
And make us happy in the darting bird
That suddenly above the bees is heard,
The meteor that thrusts in with needle bill,
And off a blossom in mid air stands still.
For this is love and nothing else is love,
The which it is reserved for God above
To sanctify to what far ends He will,
But which it only needs that we fulfil.


0 thoughts shared....: