In Other Words

“Martha was busy for Jesus,and that left her too busy to be with Jesus.”

~ Jon Walker "Growing with Purpose: Connecting with God Every Day"


Have you ever felt like God was trying to tell you something???? I wrote yesterday about the importance of spending time ALONE with God every day. I read a devotion in my Bible about needing a daily quiet time. My devotion tomorrow at the Internet Cafe is about having a "MARY" Christmas...being Mary and not Martha during the busy Holiday season (please stop by tomorrow to read it....).

So, God, are you trying to tell me SOMETHING??????

I love the story of Mary and Martha (Luke 10). I can relate to BOTH sisters. I have the heart of Mary, wanting so much to sit in His presence soaking up every Word.... But, I tend to have the hands of Martha.... busy, busy, busy, busy. When I study the story I see that Martha is doing a "good" thing- she is serving Jesus! But, Jesus tells her she is not doing the BEST thing. The BEST thing is to sit at His feet soaking up His Word, communing with Him, being filled by His very Presence.

How many times am I busy FOR Jesus to be busy WITH Jesus?

Busy doing the "good" things.....

Teaching Sunday School....

Leading a small group....

Blogging....

Leading a young girls' group....

Coaching Confirmation leaders.....

Volunteering at school....

Sending out Operation Christmas Child boxes...

Visiting the nursing home...

Calling my mom...

All of these things are GOOD. But, when I fill all of my time SERVING, I have none left for SOAKING. And....I soon find myself with the same ATTITUDE as Martha.

Banging cabinet doors.

Huffing and puffing.

Slamming dishes.

Rolling my eyes....

Until I impatiently whine, "Jesus, make her(him/whoever!) help me!!!!"

When I make sure to be busy WITH Jesus, He will show me how to best serve Him. He does want me to serve Him. But, I need to be FILLED with HIM, FULL of HIM before I can share Him with others.

I love that we see Martha later serving with a better attitude! (John 12:1-3). I tend to believe that she learned this valuable lesson....


Here is another devotion I wrote about the two sisters that you may like to read.

This was a great quote this week and one we all need to ponder as the holiday season quickly approaches...

Our hostess this week is Debbie @ http://www.heartchoices.com/

Please do join us by writing and/or visiting those who've linked-up on Debbie's blog...


9 thoughts shared....:

Sarah said...

"But, when I fill all of my time SERVING, I have none left for SOAKING"

I LOVE that quote. It is so true. Thank you for your wise words today!

Karen said...

You and I were thinking down the same line of the differnce of doing something FOR Jesus and WITH Jesus. Great post today.

Heather of Swallowing A Moose said...

Isn't this a story we can really relate too! Great Post today!

Debbie Petras said...

I'm so glad you joined in today. I love what you wrote and you added so much more to this lesson. Believe me, it helps me as it's so easy to get caught up in the Martha mentality and not enough time be filled like Mary.

Loved your IOWT post!

Hugs,
Debbie

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

Funny, isn't it? How the IOW quote always seems to reach us right where we are? I see it every week :-)
Great list of "distractions..." you provide.
Your post does leave us with much wisdom as we embark on the CHRISTmas season.
Blessings to you!
~es.

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

Funny, isn't it? How the IOW quote always seems to touch and reach us right where we are? I notice this too every week!
You provide an excellent list of "distractions" that I myself am more than guilty of . . .
Much wisdom in your post today as we approach the CHRISTmas season.
Blessings to you!
~es.

Sharlyn Guthrie said...

I like your practical examples. Martha is so easy to relate to, but I don't want to be her!

Kathryn @ Expectant Hearts said...

Good post, Tracy. I also get a Martha attitude way too often. So glad God is big enough that His strength is made perfect in my weakness.

Miriam Pauline said...

Well said. Martha's busyness wasn't as much of a problem as her attitude. I find that I relate so much to wanting to whine for someone to help me--when I just need to slow down. Thanks for sharing today.