Live by faith....

We saw the "Book of Eli" a few weeks ago. It left a powerful message with me that I continue to think about..... It was one of those movies that definitely sticks with you. (This movie was rated "R" for a reason, folks! There is a lot of VIOLENCE......Eli protects the Book with a machete- need I say more????? It reminded me of a Mad Max movie. So....if you are thinking about seeing it- be careful and be prepared for the violence. You can do what I do and close your eyes through those scenes!)

The movie takes place in the future. It's one of those "post-apocalyptic " movies. You know, there has been the war that ends all wars..... it actually blows a hole in the ozone causing the sun to burn the earth....the "Big Flash." After hiding in dark places, survivors come out to a green-sky wasteland with no food or water. People have become inhumane.....killing for fun...for water....or a can of tuna. There is no love....no caring....no decency. It is a lawless "civilization" where gangs rob, kill, and rape. This world reminded me of Romans 1 where we see "human nature" continue to get worse and worse.

But, enter Eli....aka....Denzel Washington (don't ya love him???). He is a good man who is (and has for 30 years) been following God's direction to protect The Book (the Bible) and take it West. He doesn't just protect it, but reads it...believes it.....tries to live by it. There is a point in the movie when he is full of remorse because he hasn't been living by it the way he should.

He is a warrior. He tries to avoid confrontation, but evil men think he is an "easy target" and continually try to kill him. "Eli guards the book with his life, because he knows that the book is the only hope that humanity has for its future."

There is an incredible twist ending....a WOW! And, it drives home the point that we "live by faith and not by sight."

Lord, this is the Truth that I want to remember....to live out. I want to live by FAITH, not by sight. (2Corin. 5:7) I want to "call things that are not as though they were." (Romans). I want to be eternally minded, not earth bound. I want to look at my GOD, not my circumstances. Joel Osteen always says, "Tell your problem how big your God is....not God how big your problem is." I want to walk out the promises of God... I am "more than a conqueror in Christ Jesus." (Romans 8). I do not have a "spirit of fear, but of POWER, of love, and of self-discipline." (2 Tim. 1:7) "I am blessed in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 1:3.

I am chosen.

I am adopted as God's child through Christ Jesus and an heir with Him!

I am forgiven.

Accepted in the Beloved.

Included in Christ.

Marked by the Holy Spirit. (Ephesians 1)

Doesn't matter what I feel.

Doesn't matter what I see.

Doesn't matter what battle I must fight.

I walk by faith, not by sight.


2 thoughts shared....:

Leah @ Point Ministries said...

My husband saw this movie and thought it was good. He was amazed at the ending, too.

I so want to be bold and live by faith. I do a little better each and every day. However, somedays it feels like it is two steps forward and three steps back. Just want to hear 'well done, good and faithful servant'.

Have a great day, friend.

Leah

Mindy said...

I too have been trying to walk by faith and not by site as I walk the breast cancer walk. Some days I struggle with the knowledge that He knows what is going on and is still allowing me to walk through it, while other days I am amazed at the peace He gives me, always meeting me where I am and providing for me there.

I too want to always look at God and not my circumstances. This comes as no surprise to God. I can honestly say I have been blessed to have gone through this trial because I have grown so much closer to Him through it all.

Just like Paul exhaults the Phillipians (ch 3) to remember that our walk is about knowing Christ better and doing His will, it's not about doing the "right thing" in the site of man, your blog is always pointing us back to Christ, reminding us of our humaness and the fact that God loves us in spite of ourselves.